Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #1

Share |

Stucco problem

I'm new to the forums and I'm not really sure where to start here with my problem...

I have a hairline crack in my stucco that has apparently been there for quite some time. I patched it up, and proceeded to pull up carpet finding that my tack strips are molded about 6' in each direction and on my carpet. The house is block construction and this is on an outside wall. The builder put a 1x4 at the bottom of the block (presumably to hold baseboard) which is molded as well. The area where the mold seems to be the greatest is right at the back-side of my shower (buts up to an interior wall). I pulled drywall out and verified that my plumbing isn't leaking... Hard to explain, I suppose.

So 2 questions:

1) The crack was so small it was barely visible. Over time, could this kind of fine crack present a problem like this?
2) Who/what kind of contractor would I call to even begin to address this?

Thanks in advance for the help.

EDIT: This is the current situation
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e11&id=5116638

Last edited by Daleeman; 03-13-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: added link to photo
Daleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
Mod

Stucco problem

If the moisture barrier behind the stucco is in good shape and done properly a small crack shouldn’t matter.

Are there any windows or other openings above this area?

Have you ever felt it wet there?

kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #3

Stucco problem

Its somewhat below a window. If you take a peek at the picture link I posted in my original post, you'll see what I mean. But I'll say this, there's no sign of water running (water spots, mold, etc) further up the wall. That said, I HAVE felt moisture on the sill, but it was condensation and I felt it on all my windows.
Daleeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
Mod

Stucco problem

It’s kind of hard to see in the picture but I doesn’t look like it’s been wet above the sill but since you have it opened up get out there with a hose and try to make it leak.

I’ve been in the siding business a long time and before I rip anything apart on the outside to find a “Mystery Leak” I’ll take the hose to it. A few min. with a hose and someone on the inside looking can answer a lot of questions and maybe save a lot of $$$
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote