Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2008, 12:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stucco over Foam Board?

I am thinking about using 1" rigid foil-faced polyiso foam board over my plywood sheathing and then stucco over part of the house and hardiboard siding over the rest. Are there any issues I should be aware of? My contractor is concerned about the weight of the stucco not being supported by the longer nails that need to go through the foam.

buildgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Stucco over Foam Board?

What your discribing is the DRYVET system it is not for DIY you have to be compay certified to use it and it expensive.If your dead set on useing some form of it I would talk to one of their contractors

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #3

Stucco over Foam Board?

I am wondering if when you say STUCCO you mean what you say? Stucco is a 3 to 4 part system with a cement base product. On the other hand,with your comment about a poly board being a sub straight I to would be inclined to think your referring to a DryVit type system.The difference being is that with dryvit the base is a Elastomeric product. Could you elaborate a bit more?

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 09:04 AM   #4

Stucco over Foam Board?

Yes, regular 3-coat cement-based stucco, not dryvit.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:35 AM   #5

Stucco over Foam Board?

I would think that the weight of three coats 2 skin coats and the stucco finish coat would just pull the form board right off the nails no matter how long the were.If your thinking of this for decorative additions they do make preformed for around doors and windows that is stucco that you can either put into a skin coat or use adhesives on.I am doing a kind of stucco finish on my house also.It includes two part skin coat and then a paint ,roil on ,or trowel on stucco finish it is called con pro flex by conproco but it still requires at least two coverings of skin which I believe would make it to heavy for the foam board to stay put
Old 07-01-2008, 09:40 AM   #6

Stucco over Foam Board?

The stucco wouldn't go directly on the foam, there's the wire lathe that would be nailed into the studs through the foam board. It's not decorative. The purpose is to increase the R-value and reduce thermal bridging through the studs.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 AM   #7

Stucco over Foam Board?

if that the case why not just put the foam under the plywood then your lath on the plywood.thats what I did then your tar paper and skin coat also act as a seal around doors and window and where the seams of the plywood come together.You have to use longer nails to penetrate the foam board and by code I believe the nails for the lath must also be long enough to penetrate to the studs
Old 07-02-2008, 06:40 AM   #8

Stucco over Foam Board?

There seems to be a good point here. But in my mind there is a area between the studs thats got me concerned. With the mesh you have to follow a nailing schedule,and that would include the spaces between the studs. You do not want to skimp on the nailing.Loose (metal) lathe or mesh will result in sagging,which will crack. It has been said by clasact "to put the foam under the plywood then paper over the top" Then go a head and Stucco. I would (If it were my peace of mind) go with that as apposed to having a worry in the back of my head.I know from experience that when I have worries in the back of my head with a project it usually bites me in the butt. Keep a posting of how it goes...................Good Luck........................

Old 07-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Stucco over Foam Board?

What you are referring to is sometimes called a "western one-coat" (even though it's actually 2 coats) system and is used all over California, Arizona, and Nevada.

While often confused with "DryVit" type EIFS systems, a one-coat system is a hybrid between a traditional three-coat system and a barrier-type EIFS product. The one-coat system incorporates a vapor barrier applied over the sheathing (building paper, Tyvec, etc), followed by 1" foam board then lath, then a base coat of portland cement plaster (usually reinforced with fibers) at about 3/8" in thickness (specs vary on this). This is followed by a color coat of about 1/8" thickness.

The lath is fastened through the foam using staples which are lengthened to accomodate the thickness of the foam board. I've seen thousands of these units and never seen lath fastener withdrawal when the appropriately sized fasteners were used.

http://www.nocsa.org/faq.htm#link2

http://omega.omega-products.com/File...WallSystem.pdf

http://www.prowall.com/PDF/One-Coat%20Stucco.pdf

As others have said, these are proprietary systems, however, and must be installed by approved applicators. They really aren't DIY products.

Last edited by MacRoadie; 07-02-2008 at 12:42 PM.
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #10

Stucco over Foam Board?

Leave it to the west coast to come up with a synthesized version of Adobe.
Good to know MacRoadie ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks for the post........

Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #11
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Stucco over Foam Board?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark942 View Post

Leave it to the west coast to come up with a synthesized version of Adobe.
Good to know MacRoadie ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Thanks for the post........
Well, they were using adobe for a year or two before the white man showed up out here, and it seems to have worked out just fine for them...lol

Actually, it is a better product for use in desert conditions. It is a much more flexible product and can handle the extreme temperature swings of the desert (below freezing in winter and over 110 degrees in the summer. You get much less thermal cracking. It also provides extra R-value as well.
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #12

Stucco over Foam Board?

since I have a couple of pros here that know stucco and the original question has pretty much been answred I thought I would pop this in and see what you thought of the product its called conpro flex you can see moer about it by going to the web site at www.conpro flex .com I am planning on useing it if it ever stops rainning for more then half a day and wanted to get your thought or experiance with it Thanks
Old 07-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #13

Stucco over Foam Board?

Classact,I had to laugh at your PRO comment.Least wise for me.I am no where near a pro,just have had a little expierence with Stucco.By the way the link
you posted doesnt seem to work.I can see from the name, I haven't used this product. Maybe MacRoadie will be able to shed some light on it ?

It has been raining a lot in Pa hasnt it?

MacRoadie. Built one of my first homes in Cottonwood AZ from Adobe.What a mess it was for us at first. But we asked around and things turned out just fine. I saved the links you posted for a in the near future house that I will be working on..................Thank you once again................

Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 PM   #14

Stucco over Foam Board?

jsut try to search conpro flex to see the web page and tell me what you think.You have worked with stucco products before so an opinion will work too eventhough you havent used it
Old 07-03-2008, 03:27 PM   #15

Stucco over Foam Board?

Clasact.............Just had a little read about the Conpro flex by Conproco Corp. Acrylic base/Mildew resistance and a 1 step process.It all reads good, BUT I am old school and am a hard sell when it comes to new products.I always wait until MIKEY TRIES IT. I did read MacRoadie`s links and from the looks of it they too are similar to the Conpro flex your looking at. Both being good reads, but when it comes to Stucco it has got to be one two three and maybe 4 steps for me. I am thinking MacRoadie would be better to make comment about Acrylic base products. The only other Product or System I have used has been Dryvit. The company(Commercial Building application) I did the work for liked it very much. Myself, it just didn't have the depth that I have come accustom to. Please feel free to let me know how things went for you with the Acrylic products.................