Stucco Or Foundation Plaster - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stucco or foundation plaster

I had some excavation done in my backyard to create a walkout basement. Now the foundation wall is exposed and is coated with the tar-like black coating. I want to cover this up with stucco, or match the stucco-like stuff that's on the first few feet of foundation below the regular house stucco. I have 2 questions about this.
1. Does this black sealer stuff need to be removed? I've had mixed answers on this so far, even from stucco pros, so I'm inclined to leave it after a good pressure washing.
2. At the hardware store (both lowes and home depot), they've got sacks of Stucco, and sacks of "foundation plaster". They seem like the same thing to me, except the foundation plaster is almost twice the price, so there must be something else to it. What is the difference? Which should I use for this? (Of course no one at the stores knows the answer.)

Advertisement

Erray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

the black coating you see is foundation sealer and needs to be left as is to seal the foundation, giver it time to dry/set before going over it with the stucco. check out fiberglass re enforced concrete (sure wall), it goes on like stucco and can be made to look like stucco.

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

That foundation sealer has been on there since the house was built a few years ago, so letting it dry isn't an issue. Still, anyone know what the difference is between foundation plaster and stucco?

Foundation plaster:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020806...dation+plaster

Stucco:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/2020756...h+grove+stucco
Erray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basment walk-out , foundation plaster , stucco