Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2006, 01:59 PM   #1

Share |

Stucco Chimney -- Keep or Renovate?

Good Afternoon, everyone! I am new to this forum so first let me wish you all a Happy Holiday season!

I am hoping that some of you would be kind enough to offers suggestions to me.

I purchased a cedar log home almost 9 years ago. The cabin was built about 30 years ago. It is built on the side of a mountain, so the basement/bottom level is exposed -- there is a main level and then a loft (now the master bedroom). I was fortunate enough to get a good deal, as the home was never finished. It was built as a spec house but once the occupancy permit was obtained the wife filed for divorce. She lived there for years and never finished the home, nor did she make any repairs when things broke. Nine years later and we're almost done.

The chimney is quite wide -- about 6 feet or so -- and is stucco. We did have a mason come in and do some repairs -- repair the cap and restucco the structure. We did this more as a temporary fix and make it more pleasing to the eye as we figure out what the permanent fix will be.

I have searched high and low and have yet to find any photos of log cabins with a stucco chimney. They all have field stone, river stone or brick. While my husband and I would love to have stone applied, it is very pricey based on the coverage area. We've looked at the manmade facing, and even that is above what we would like to spend.

Does anybody have suggestions?

Thank you for any help!
Kelseynh

kelseynh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:33 AM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

When you say chimney - What is it made of? It may be a tin chimney with with stick frame or it may be a masonry chimney with a ceramic flue or something in between.

If you put on real stone, it must have something like a footing to support the weight.

If you go with a cultured stone (which is lighter), it is possible to adhere it to the existing stucco or remove the stucco to get to a better base material.

This may define you options on natural or cultured.

concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 05:13 PM   #3

Hi Concrete,

The chimney is concrete block with stucco over it. While we would love to put the lighter, cultured stone facing on, the quotes we received were pretty high.

We were considering painting the stucco -- but the chimney is visible from the road and may look pretty tacky.

I've searched online and have found very little in the way of painted stucco, unless it's on a stucco home or in a more temperate climate than NH.

Kelseynh
Old 12-25-2006, 11:14 PM   #4
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseynh View Post
Hi Concrete,

The chimney is concrete block with stucco over it. While we would love to put the lighter, cultured stone facing on, the quotes we received were pretty high.

We were considering painting the stucco -- but the chimney is visible from the road and may look pretty tacky.

I've searched online and have found very little in the way of painted stucco, unless it's on a stucco home or in a more temperate climate than NH.

Kelseynh

I would leave it alone for the time being & when funds become available go with the lick n stick
Brickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 03:56 AM   #5

have you looked into the acrylic stucco finish it comes in about 25 different colors and can be painted on and then given one of three textured finishes ?
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 08:55 AM   #6

Thank you for the suggestions -- while waiting until funds are available is a viable option, we did want to also hear about other options. I've never heard of the acrylic stucco finish -- we'll check it out.

Hope you all had a great Christmas!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #7

here is the company that makes it so you can check it out Conproco corp. its called conpro flex coverage is 100sq/ft to 170sq/ft per pail depending on the type of finish and its about 98.00 a 5gal pail can be done in three different finishes and comes in 57 colors is applied somewhat like stocco.I am useing this to do the whole outside of my house and so far it has gone on pretty easy and is holding up to the temp changes in north west Pa. very well

clasact is offline   Reply With Quote