Stucco: Is It Better To Use 1 Coat Of Of Finish Coat Throughout Or 3 Coat System? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Stucco: Is it better to use 1 coat of of finish coat throughout or 3 coat system?

Hi. I closed up two windows and have plywood, felt/tar paper and wire mesh over the outside. Is it better to use 1 solid coat of of finish coat throughout or the 3 coat system with scratch, base coat and a thinner finish coat? The spacing is about 1-1.25 inches between the existing stucco and the outside of the wire mesh to be stuccoed.

Thanks guys!

Advertisement

psubaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Stucco: Is it better to use 1 coat of of finish coat throughout or 3 coat system?

Three part, there is no single coat system for 1-1/4" stucco.

Well not a single coat of stucco only. There is a system that takes a 1" foam then you stucco over that.

Andy.

Advertisement

Last edited by AndyGump; 10-05-2011 at 11:38 PM.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:06 AM   #3

The mason I talked to said he can do a single layer of finish coat to stucco the windows and complete the job the same day. He said the finish coat material has the water proofing agent in it whereas the scratch and brown coats do not.

What to you think?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 550
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

He probably knows better than I do.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:50 AM   #5

Okay thanks for your input and honesty. The standard is the three coat process so I would normally tell someone asking the same thing.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

I have my doubts about the water proofing top layer....stucco by nature is not water proof....one of the reasons you have felt on the back side.....and one of the reasons it is not typically used in cold climates that sees a lot of freezing.

The current standard for my area is to no longer stucco all the way down the wall to the ground....you stop at the edge where the sheathing meets the foundation....weepscreen goes on that edge to allow moisture to drain....

I would go 3 layers.....it seems to be the proven process.....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote