Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Structure

I'm trying to support a 2 story house on one corner by using a 10" I-beam, The beam is about 25' long. Need to know if I put my pier pads about 18' apart can I lift the house approximately 1" to fix the old foundation? The beam will be about 3' from the outside corner on a 45 degree angle catching both rim sills, will it support the weight?

Travawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 546
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtradeworks View Post
The structure is Construct or arrangement of relation between parts of something complicate according to a plans.
Yeah, easy for you to say.

Quote:
Structure
I'm trying to support a 2 story house on one corner by using a 10" I-beam, The beam is about 25' long. Need to know if I put my pier pads about 18' apart can I lift the house approximately 1" to fix the old foundation? The beam will be about 3' from the outside corner on a 45 degree angle catching both rim sills, will it support the weight?
It will support the weight but the house may collapse around it.

Andy.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,016

Structure

Travawake,

I do not believe you will find anyone on this forum that will make that determination for you. There are many different types of steel beam and their load bearing capacity is based upon the physical properties of the beam. For example there are 18 different standard 10" W-shape steel beams, and 2 standard types of 10" S-shape steel beams. There is not enough information provided to determine the loads the beam must support.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you should contact a local professional engineer to evaluate your situation and make the determination for the spacing of our pier pads, and whether the beam you have will work. Supporting a building on a steel beam is not your typical DIY project. You need someone knowledgeable and experienced to come to your site and evaluate everything properly. Don't need damage to your home.

If you post on enough sites, or ask long enough eventually you will find someone that will say, "Oh absolutely, that beam is plenty strong enough." This comment is from someone you do not know their level of knowledge or expertise. Realizing this would you take their advise????? If it doesn't work out and you cause damage to the house who would you blame???

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
allthumbsdiy (09-28-2012), mae-ling (09-28-2012), woodworkbykirk (09-29-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:41 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,030

Structure

Yeah - what he said
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travawake View Post
Ayuh,.... Hard to say,... a 10" I-beam can be a house trailer frame, or have 1/2" web, 'n 3/4" flanges....

The beer can weight 10" I-beam probably would crush, at 2' centers...

A heavy enough beam could carry the Whole length...
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas152 View Post
I identify you don't want to deliberate on this, but you should get in handle with a provincial expert professional to appraise your circumstances and create the determination for the spot of our we blink defends, and whether the glow you have functions. Support a developing on a metal glow is not your typical DIY speculation.
Eh?...
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Structure

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony.g View Post
Eh?...
as DM alluded to in his edit, this is probably another dude (or dudette) paid to troll and spam using free translator.

allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allthumbsdiy For This Useful Post:
tony.g (09-29-2012)