Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #1

Share |

Structural rods installed in a period property

Hi - I own a terraced Victorian cottage in Hampshire (UK) built approx 1860's and at some point in it's history, it has had several steel rods installed from front to back. The quality of the work is not great and it is actually very unslightly - I am currently about to carry out some renovations, so am keen to address this if possible. I am wondering if there are any alternatives to this method of pinning the house? Ideally I woul like them removed, but have no idea what the most up to date methods are for this kind of problem. I accept that I can't remove them without an expert eye, but they are surface mounted throughout the bedrooms (one across the centre of the ceiling of the master bedroom, one at skirting level and another about 12" below ceiling height!) Does anyone have any experience / expertise in this field that can advise me? Thankyou!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp pinning1.bmp (99.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: bmp pinning2.bmp (99.4 KB, 44 views)
File Type: bmp pinning3.bmp (99.4 KB, 32 views)
bahamabay08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

[quote=bahamabay08;1024970]Hi - I own a terraced Victorian cottage in Hampshire (UK) built approx 1860's and at some point in it's history, it has had several steel rods installed from front to back. The quality of the work is not great and it is actually very unslightly - I am currently about to carry out some renovations, so am keen to address this if possible. I am wondering if there are any alternatives to this method of pinning the house? Ideally I woul like them removed, but have no idea what the most up to date methods are for this kind of problem. I accept that I can't remove them without an expert eye, but they are surface mounted throughout the bedrooms (one across the centre of the ceiling of the master bedroom, one at skirting level and another about 12" below ceiling height!) Does anyone have any experience / expertise in this field that can advise me? Thankyou![/quote

Those "rods"your talking about are what's holding your walls together,and to keep them from bowing out and collapsing,there are new ways to achieve the same thing,but not all buildings are built the same,and the link i'll post may not help in your situation,but have a look anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf7Y7xtLTfc
Canarywood1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
bahamabay08 (10-07-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #3

The building is 150 years old; the tie rods are a part of its' history. Why not leave them in and try and live with them?

As you're into things Victorian, the Victorian writer John Ruskin said of building restoration; "better a crutch than a lost limb".
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:20 AM   #4

Hi - I don't diasgree regarding the history of the house and have considered using some hollowed out beams to compensate for this. I was curious to know what my options were, hence the general question. Thanks to all for the replies, much appreciated!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #5

If the rods were installed high enough, false beams are a good idea.
Could even go with a coffered ceiling.
Here are some ideas
https://www.google.ca/search?q=coffe...w=1112&bih=748
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
Bombastic Idiot

Numbers 1 and 2 don't look like they would be too hard to hide, behind beams or moldings, widened wall or lowered ceiling. I thought skirting was at the bottoms of walls, base board over here, but then yall sit under a hood, the engines under a bonnet and the trunk is in the boot.
Number 3 is certainly attractive. Apparently somebody thought it needed to be there, matbe to hang their Wellies on. Back in olden times they ran plumbing and wiring right acroos walls out in open, so maybe they didn'y mind it being there.

I reckon that if you got some experts out there they could figure out a way to get rid of it and others, move them to inside the walls, above ceiling and under floors. Might require larger plates outside even a longer beam type plate running up wall. Outer plates are often decorative. Here in Texas there are a lot of star shaped ones, some very large and some are entirely decorative no rod at all. If new plates are larger and noticeable, how about the British lion? With oh... say, a frog shaped nut in its mouth? You pro'lly don't want a fleur de lis. A unicorn plate, get your boots out of the trunk hang, them on its horn to dry. Other than aestetics of outside plates and their location/size, I don't think some one who knows what they are doing will have much difficulty.

Aside from the flying buttress that I hear someone has come up with, there isn't a lot of new methods of reinforcing walls without major reconstruction.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmrjohn View Post
but then yall sit under a hood, the engines under a bonnet and the trunk is in the boot.
Eh?! We should never have given you Independence!
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #8

Thanks to all who replied! (notmrJohn : skirtings are indeed at the bottom of our walls, just like yours, I didn't include a pic of this one!!!)