Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

Share |

Structural reapirs and Beam replacment, nd help

Hi Folks,
I've had a structural engineer provide me with a drawing of structural repairs needed to my 1908 Home. The main beam has to be replaced due to sagging and splitting. (A job i have done successfuly in the past in other homes) I have no fears there.

Second, due to perivous owners removal of structure, cutting joists out, not doubling up Joists and headers at the stairway opening (Which was likely done to make the stair way larger for Modern uses and egress of basement equipment) the floor has sunken badly in the SE corner of the home. I now have to correct the framing, and re level this area. Again not something I haven't done before.

The engineer was clear on all aspects of materials to use, where I have to add a new post etc... But...

My question is this... What repair comes first?
Should i make all the floor framing repairs and sistering of joists first, then start my beam replcement?

My conundrum is that if i replace the beam first, (level the floor and insert my temporary wall) I fear that i will put further stress on the damaged front SE quadrant because when the floor is leveleved at the centre it will put the SE corner area of the floor into a greater sag. but... If i restruture the SE corner floor and stair opening to suit the out of level beam, will i stress the repair points when leveling out the floor at the centre main beam?

I just dont know which area to start first...
The most damage is definately the lack of structure around the SE corner of the house at the stairway opening. It has a sag of +/-2" over 12' in some areas, and requires a new telepost (Where a column was removed)to support a corner.

Any help would be greatly apprciated.
Thank you,
Rob.

thelintonwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #2

ask the engineer as he's had actual eyes on the job good luck !

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Very hard to say without at least seeing some good pictures.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote