Structural Question - Modular Home - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Structural question - Modular Home

Hi everyone, I have a question that should be fairly straightforward..

I have a modular home (Cape) which I am finishing the second floor. I would like to cathedral the ceiling in the master bedroom and I currently have 2 things that I am questioning...

1: I have collar ties and rafter ties. Can I remove the rafter ties? I don't think the wall spread would be an issue as the rafters are gusseted with plywood to the floor joists of the second floor.

2: The peak was framed with 2x4's and hinged so it could be built at the factory and erected on site. I will have to sister the 2x4's with 2x8's to match the lower half of the roof. Is there anything else that I am missing? I woulds like to run the new false ceiling to start where the 45 degree supports end.

Thanks for any insight!

Advertisement

drevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by drevil View Post
Hi everyone, I have a question that should be fairly straightforward..

I have a modular home (Cape) which I am finishing the second floor. I would like to cathedral the ceiling in the master bedroom and I currently have 2 things that I am questioning...

1: I have collar ties and rafter ties. Can I remove the rafter ties? I don't think the wall spread would be an issue as the rafters are gusseted with plywood to the floor joists of the second floor.

2: The peak was framed with 2x4's and hinged so it could be built at the factory and erected on site. I will have to sister the 2x4's with 2x8's to match the lower half of the roof. Is there anything else that I am missing? I woulds like to run the new false ceiling to start where the 45 degree supports end.

Thanks for any insight!

No one here can possibly answer those questions. You HAVE to talk to the modular company who built it. They are the only ones who can answer for you. You can't assume anything by saying you don't think removing part of the roof is an issue.

Advertisement

Old 02-25-2011, 05:25 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

As Joe said, check with the company who designed the truss structure. They are not ususally meant to be modified. Certainly not without an engineers guidance.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote