Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Structural help!

Hello DIY,

New to this forum, first post n all. was wondering if i could get some advice. There is an old chimney running up through the middle of my house that i would like to rip out. But the concrete used for it is holding up half my house.

Pictures can be found here!

I cut out some of the floor to each side, going to pour some footing for 2 triple stacked 2x6 posts. My real question is do you think that my two posts would hold the weight?

linjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Structural help!

This is a pretty serious structural issue, i.e. replacing a concrete support with wooden supports. Taking a poll on an internet chat forum regarding what may be the most important support in your house seems like a bad idea. Really, suppose some says "sure, those posts are good to go." Are you actually going to rely on that type of comment from someone who has never seen your house, does not know what load will be on the posts, and does not know what type of foundation you are going to install for the posts? You need to discuss this with a local professional who can visit your property and offer an informed opinion on the proper support.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (12-01-2012)
Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM   #3

Structural help!

even a few of us who know what we're doing AND can calculate loads run this by a pe - structural,,, often this type of repair must be permitted & you'll need stamped drawings to pull a permit OR ensure your insurance company'll pay off in the event there's a problem down the road,,, there's much more to it than just holding up the 2nd floor & roof - wind loads, type of current const, & soils also play a part in the right solution
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #4

Structural help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjak View Post
Hello DIY,

New to this forum, first post n all. was wondering if i could get some advice. There is an old chimney running up through the middle of my house that i would like to rip out. But the concrete used for it is holding up half my house.

I cut out some of the floor to each side, going to pour some footing for 2 triple stacked 2x6 posts. My real question is do you think that my two posts would hold the weight?
Hi, welcome to this site!

This is definitely beyond the catagory of DYI project. Consult with a local code officer and professional about the renovation before tearing down your house.

Secondly, a friend of mine actually was in the same situation, and she built a nice wall storage space on 4 sides of the chimney. Her house was built in the 50's ... your photos look like what hers looked.

Good Luck!
oodssoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Framing Contractor

Structural help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjak View Post
Hello DIY,

Let's be serious here. You are obviously doing this without professional advice from an architect or engineer and also building permits and inspections. And you already started doing the work.

So, with that said do you really think that its smart asking advice about a structural issue like this on the internet makes sense without someone looking ar your house? Don't come back saying this is the reason why you're here asking for advice because this isn't a place for it .

Who told you to put triple 2x6's there?
Old 12-01-2012, 05:52 PM   #6

Structural help!

Being serious here. Building permit posted on my most visible window = $50, inspections passed = a beer and a conversation with the only guy in my towns engineering department. While he may be a friend of mine, hes as crooked as they come. Politics aside.....

I appreciate the feedback, the only answer i got is the one that i had expected. I already called a real engineer, just can't be here for a week and a half. Ive got other things i can do, just getting impatient for this particular one.

That being said, going to wait for the engineer. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!
linjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #7

Structural help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by linjak
Being serious here. Building permit posted on my most visible window = $50, inspections passed = a beer and a conversation with the only guy in my towns engineering department. While he may be a friend of mine, hes as crooked as they come. Politics aside.....

I appreciate the feedback, the only answer i got is the one that i had expected. I already called a real engineer, just can't be here for a week and a half. Ive got other things i can do, just getting impatient for this particular one.

That being said, going to wait for the engineer. Thanks for the input, it is appreciated!
Sounds like we live in same area lol. I got brand new house that I'm still wondering how its standing. Good luck with that project. I got a big structural job issue myself.

r.mills is offline   Reply With Quote