Structural Damage Repair - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2008, 05:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Structural Damage repair

Im currently planning on buying a home that needs repair, no heat, needs electrical, but my main concern right now is the structural damage to the foundation. The floors inside are on a very slight lean, you cant notice it unless you really are paying attention. When you go to the basement, the stone underneath one of the basement windows is caving inward. I probably will not tackle this job completely by myself. What would be the best way to go about this. The foundation needs to be secured and the home needs to be leveled.

Advertisement

hcr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Neanderthal Woodworker

Rewards Points: 75

Structural Damage repair

call in professional foundation / house leveling crews to bid the project.........way too much to go wrong to even attempt that one DIY. ...............death & dismemberment coming to mind...........then beat the price down to the middle bid, and cross your fingers they don't find any booger bears when the excavation starts..........

Advertisement

woodman51jfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:15 PM   #3
G2G

Rewards Points: 10

Structural Damage repair

[quote=woodman51jfk;93297]then beat the price down to the middle bid, quote

If you can beat someone down DO NOT HIRE THEM! In my opionion if you can beat them down they are not a professional. Would you go down to the local big box store and ask, "Will you sell me that 2x4 for a buck fifty?" A professional will qoute you a price and stand behind their work.

OK, sorry about the rant.

I do agree about hiring a professional. Look for a local company that is licensed, insured, and has references. Interview and get a few estimates, then hire the one you like knowing most of the time you get what you pay for. If you don't know where to find somebody start with NARI (National Association of the Remodeling Industry), NHBA (National Homebuilders Association), BBB (Better Business Bureau), and best of all friends, neighbors, coworkers, etc.

My 2 cents.
G2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 580

Structural Damage repair

Why buy a defective home to start? Lord knows there are plenty of Non-defective ones out there. Any discount you get upfront will not cover the cost to repair structural defects, and then you will still have to sell it someday.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
ICF Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Structural Damage repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Why buy a defective home to start? Lord knows there are plenty of Non-defective ones out there. Any discount you get upfront will not cover the cost to repair structural defects, and then you will still have to sell it someday.

No Heat??? Is it a frost prone area?

it is probably cheaper to build a new home, or as Tscar said by a none defective one.

Fixing foundations as bad as what you are describing is usually a temporary patch, raising the house and replacing it is expensive as it gets and is usually cheaper to build a new home.

Unless it is in the heart of some major city and the cost justifies the repair, move on find something else.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:02 PM   #6
Neanderthal Woodworker

Structural Damage repair

.sorry for not clarifying my position....I was referring to beating down the seller of the house, as in them lowering your purchase price to cover whatever the foundation pros will charge to fix the problem...........see there G2G...a perfectly good rant wasted..........
woodman51jfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #7

Structural Damage repair

there's too much violence in here

Advertisement

nacko is offline   Reply With Quote