Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Share |

strong enough to hang heavy bag?

Hi, I'm looking to hang a heavy bag out on our deck here from the center beam in the attached picture, but my roommate thinks it'll be too much weight for the roof. Just wanted to post up on here and see what you guys think. If it's a no go, is there anything I can do to add support? Thanks for the time. Please, lemme know if you need more pics. I can get some close-ups if it'll help.
Attached Thumbnails
strong enough to hang heavy bag?-img_00901.jpg  

twiggyBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #2

I doubt it ........ you don't provide the weight of the bag

plus I have enough concerns about the stability of the existing roof without adding additional weight. of course you could give it a try and see what happens ...... good luck

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
joecaption (02-02-2013), twiggyBD (02-05-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #3

I'm surprized the way that was built it's still standing without any added weight or added side loads.
Might want to check out a stand for the bag.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
twiggyBD (02-05-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #4

I have a heavy bag, 100 lbs., and so my concern would be not the structure supporting the weight of the bag but rather the structure being affected by the forces you will put on the bag. I believe everytime you kick the bag or give it a body blow the structure will move a bit. All of the those shocks could cause damage to the structure. You might want to have someone who is qualified to make a determination make a site visit.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheCamper For This Useful Post:
twiggyBD (02-05-2013)
Old 02-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the replies. Planned on getting a muay thai bag, they usually weigh about 120lbs, but yeah, definitely don't wanna just give it a try and see what happens.

The left side is resting on the roof of the house, so yeah, any sway on that center beam would be bad news I think. I'm pretty confident that the center beam can handle the weight, but like TheCamper says, it's all the other forces that we're concerned about. Supposed to be replacing this old deck with concrete soon. Maybe look into building somekinda stand afterwards.

Oh well, bummer. Again, thanks for the feedback. Guess for now I'll just go back to beatin the old lady

Last edited by twiggyBD; 02-06-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

Depends how hard you can kick.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
twiggyBD (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

I kick pretty hard, but I'm only 160lbs so there's really only so much I can do on a bag that size. Thought I could weight down the bottom a bit to help with the swing if need be.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #8
AHH, SPANS!!!

if you ran a type of collar tie across the rafters where you want the bag and put up like a 4x8 ceiling with structural ply and hung the bag from the center of that with the bag tying into the lateral support of the ceiling somehow it might work. the concern seems to be how strong the tall post is out on the corner that is holding it all up and the post going into the roof. some type of diagonal brace at both ends of the beam will help but maybe not enough, check in the attic and look how the post is tied into everything up there as it could already be supported laterally as it sits now. chances are the post just sits atop of the roof though(with added blocking at least??)...
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
twiggyBD (02-05-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #9

Is that a deck or just a covering for your patio? When you say you want to hang something from your deck, I think of a deck as something you stand on, not an awning or covering..? It looks like just an awning/roof for your patio, and I'd definitely be very concerned mounting a 120+lb bag from it, and more importantly the lateral forces from hitting the back and how the roof structure would handle it.. I'd think racking would be a real concern since it seems like the roof structure doesn't have anything bracing it laterally.
NewHomeDIYGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:22 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies-

hand drive, If I understand correctly a collar tie would take much of the weight off the main beam which is really the only thing up there that's very solid. The two side pieces (don't know what the correct terminology is for this) supporting the reed fencing are very feeble and the one on the left side is just resting on the roof of the house. The two vertical posts (supporting the center beam) go all the way to the ground though. The far post does go through the existing roof, but it continues on beneath the deck. My roommate's really adamant about not doing this tho. He's concerned it'll put too much stress on the roof of the house, so I think it's a no go until we get the cement down. Never really cared for the punching bag stands, but I guess it's better than nothing for the time being. Thanks for your time.

NewHomeDIYGuy, guess I could've worded things a little differently here. This' a covered deck (yes, the deck being the part we walk on). It's my understanding that a patio is usually, if not always, cement (please correct me if I'm wrong). The covering or awning (see photo) is what I had planned to hang the bag from. I said we wanted to hang it out on our deck, not from it. Otherwise the bag would be underneath the deck, which would be of very little use to us...
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #11
World's Tallest Midget

Huh, I guess I never realized that patios are normally paved, and decks are normally wood (or plastic, if you're a yuppy). I guess at work we pour patios all the time, but never decks.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:29 PM   #12
bbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Huh, I guess I never realized that patios are normally paved, and decks are normally wood (or plastic, if you're a yuppy). I guess at work we pour patios all the time, but never decks.
but do you really pour decks or place them?
bbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 PM   #13
World's Tallest Midget

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbo View Post
but do you really pour decks or place them?
Ah, a concrete guy! I once had an inspector tell me, "You place concrete. If you pour it, it's too wet."
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mort For This Useful Post:
bbo (02-06-2013), GBrackins (02-05-2013)
Old 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #14

so true so true .....

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 AM   #15

Can you post a pic of the sides of the roof? Is it tied into the house at the lower corner of each side as well as the center? I have a feeling you could do what you're planning with no issues. Tie a rope to it and swing around. See if it moves at all. I bet it doesn't. But safety first, so don't listen to me.

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikegp For This Useful Post:
twiggyBD (02-06-2013)