DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

strapping or insulation first?

5K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
Does it make a difference if I install strapping first. The strapping is being used to level a ceiling. It would be easier to fit in from above vs. below.
The only difference is the tabs would be stapled to the sides vs. the bottom of the ceiling joist.

#3 ·
I'm not sure I understand.
I'm using faced pink insulation. Both sides of the ceiling/attic floor are exposed right now, so I've been going through from the bottom and stapling in place. I haven't got much done yet.

Additional questions:
This stuff tears fairly easily. Should I be concerned with minor tears? If so, what can I repair with?
I'm using 24" batts. This is an old school hip roof house. I've got bays ranging in size from 17" - 24" with the majority 20.5" wide or 22" CC. Do I need to cut down the batts to fit perfectly into the bays or is compressing it by a few inches acceptable?

#4 · (Edited)
Where do you plan on installing this strapping? If the strapping is attacted to an unlevel surface it will still be unlevel.
You do know in your area it's suggested to use R-50 insulation which would be 12" in that ceiling.
Compressed insulation does 0 good.

#6 · (Edited)
Thanks,
Code in my area is R30 and really that's all I have room for.
Compressing insulation won't gain you R -value per inch but you would have to really pack it in to lose per inch r-value.
i
Edit: as far as the strapping. I'm planning on shimming each piece separately. I just need to put the first one at the lowest point, followed by the ones at the edge of the room, making sure they are true across all three pieces and fill in the rest. I'm not shooting for level, just true. It's an old house and I've given up on level long ago.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks,
Code in my area is R30 and really that's all I have room for.
Compressing insulation won't gain you R -value per inch but you would have to really pack it in to lose per inch r-value.
I'd just strap it in on each side. Shouldn't make any difference at all as long as it's secured. Just matters of whether or not they are in corrected before being secured.

EDIT

You can skip through a lot of it, but take what applies to what you're doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dee7g_HtMIQ

Very simple.

#9 ·
The insulation paper facing is area weighed, any rips, tears or slashes will have minimal value on the vapor retarder aspect. The strapping leaving raceways for air travel concerns me as they could feed convective loops around the paper/insulation and negate the batts being air permeable. The insulation should be aligned with the drywall (air barrier) as a "drop ceiling" and I would have it in direct contact as in "Floor" ans "Wall"; http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_11_sec002_par022.htm

Gary

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.