Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 10:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Strange basement issues, moisture [pics attached]

Some wall plates in my basement are partially submberged in the concrete floor. This is pretty confusing to me, did somebody pour a new layer of concrete in the basement after some walls were up? Not all the wall plates are in concrete though.

One of the wall plates rotted away and there are holes in the concrete and the stone that goes under the floor is exposed. There is water coming through there. I am planning to fill that in with some concrete, does that seem alright?. (see pics)

Also at one point someone cut trenches in the floor to add a drain, presumably because there seems to be a lot of water under the floor. These run to a sump, but a drain guy told me that one of them actually stops short so that is another thing to fix. What is odd is that at the seems of these patched trenches, there is always a bit of moisture (see pics). It never gets really wet, just a bit of moisture perpetually. This makes me worried for finishing the basement, seems like it needs to be remedied before being covered up. Not sure what to do though. Any thoughts or advice on this messed up basement would be appreciated.

Partially submberged wall plate (and another that is actually the opposite, on a raised section of concrete):

Where a rotted wall plate was and some spots are open to stones underneath, planning to patch:

A seam between two rooms that is perpetually moist:*

The cut and patched trenches for drain tile:

Last edited by Turkey101; 11-23-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Turkey101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

That's exatly what they did.
Most likly they had an unlevel, cracking messed up floor and tryed doing an overlay.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That's exatly what they did.
Most likly they had an unlevel, cracking messed up floor and tryed doing an overlay.
Is that considered an acceptable thing to do? Is the floor going to be OK? Seems pretty hackish to me. Anything I can/should do about it? Mostly the floor seems to be in OK shape but my concern is about the moisture preventing the basement being finished. There may be a lot of water/springs around here and the soil is sandy. So that may have contributed to the issues.
Turkey101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:29 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

When you get to repairing, you will need a capillary break between the concrete and any wood in contact w/ it, even treated lumber. Otherwise, water will wick through the concrete and wet the wood. DryLok paint supposedly works, but gaskets are better; both is probably best. Have you ever checked the humidity down there? It may need to be reduced, too.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Everything you posted indicates you have a high water table under the floor. If you want the best protection against water damage in the basement, you're going to have to lower the water level, year round.

What is the high-water line in the crock look like? Can you take a picture?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote