Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Straight Framing Lumber

OK, this may sound stupid...

I am furring out the exterior walls in the living room of my 1911 home to meet local village code for insulation. At the corners, I need some very straight 2x4's as they will create the corners for the drywall. The construction grade 2x's that I'm getting from the local home center are crap (twisted, warped, etc.). Do I need to go with a higher grade lumber for these pieces and if so, what do I buy??

Thanx!
Jimmy
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin
BigJimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #2

Straight Framing Lumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
OK, this may sound stupid...

I am furring out the exterior walls in the living room of my 1911 home to meet local village code for insulation. At the corners, I need some very straight 2x4's as they will create the corners for the drywall. The construction grade 2x's that I'm getting from the local home center are crap (twisted, warped, etc.). Do I need to go with a higher grade lumber for these pieces and if so, what do I buy??

Thanx!
Jimmy
I highlighted you problem in bold type.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:41 PM   #3
ICF Construction

Straight Framing Lumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post

That is the truth, Lawnguy identified the problem. Locate a local builders supply...not a HD...you should have better luck there. Drive by a construction site and see what the sign at the front says, lumber yards usually have a sign up...go there. And you are looking for #1 or select grade
Old 12-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #4
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Straight Framing Lumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnGuyLandSparky View Post
Great, and by that you mean what? My question is, is there a grade of framing lumber that would be better? I've bought lumber from Lee Lumber (local lumber yard) and it wasn't much better. Nothing like a weak attempt at sarchasm when you don't have anything useful to contribute!
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves,"You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Last edited by BigJimmy; 12-03-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: misspelling
BigJimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 11:10 PM   #5

Straight Framing Lumber

BigJimmy...He actually gave you alot of help in his answer. And your post did start out with "OK, this may sound stupid". The local home center you are getting the wood from probably has junk like you said in your post. Most builders get their lumber from a lumber yard which usually has better quality then home depot or similar. The second poster tells you the grades that you need to look for at the lumber yard, #1 or select grade.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Straight Framing Lumber

Quote:
I am furring out the exterior walls in the living room of my 1911 home to meet local village code for insulation. At the corners, I need some very straight 2x4's as they will create the corners for the drywall.
I take it that you probably have 9'-0" or higher ceilings...

Quote:
The construction grade 2x's that I'm getting from the local home center are crap (twisted, warped, etc.).
Yep...they usually are. If we need a few straight 2x4x8's from a Home Center, we ususally hand pick from the 2x4 FIR stock.

Quote:
Do I need to go with a higher grade lumber for these pieces and if so, what do I buy??
Consider this item (go to a Lumber/builder supply yard): "LSL" framing Lumber (Laminated Strand Lumber). It can be purchased in 2x4 dimensions.
Links:

http://www.newretirementcommunities....mberstrand.nhg

http://www.ilevel.com/walls/w_Timber...LSL_studs.aspx

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...d-wall-framing
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 AM   #7

Straight Framing Lumber

I so far had good luck with Home Depot lumber. The only thing is that you gotta cherry pick. I might go through 50-60 2x4s before I find 10 that satisfy me.
scorrpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:27 AM   #8

Straight Framing Lumber

I'm thinking I'm a few weeks away from starting some basic framing in my basement when I have some time off between the holidays. How do you guys suggest buying lumber? I was going to just order half a bunk from some place, but do you guys actually hand-pick large quantities?
perpetual98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #9

Straight Framing Lumber

What HO's (And some small construction people) need to understand - there is a limited amount of good, grade "A" lumber in the world - and you'd have to believe that the professional lumberyards are settling for 2nd class lumber to believe that home centers like Home Depot or Lowe's actually carries the good stuff.

Even their commercials state "Only Home Depot stocks Home Depot Certified, Grade A lumber!" Examine that statement carefully - and you realize the Home Depot is certifying their OWN LUMBER AS GRADE A.

This is how the corporate giants dupe the public into believing they carry quality products, when in fact, quality is a home center's LAST concern.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:07 AM   #10

Straight Framing Lumber

When I built my house, I used one of the local building supply center, and when the framing material was shipped, I'd bet that there was 25% extra....I asked the salesman "what's up with this...don't want the material on site". His response was "stack what you don't want to use, and we'll come get it." Sure enough....pick a twisty stick...toss it aside and grab another. I've got the straightest walls you'll ever see.

When I do smaller jobs I ALWAYS grab extra from what originally starts out as hand picked, when I'm done, return the unused balance, even the twisted sticks.

Years ago at Menards one of their yardies told me that I couldn't pick through their material. I said "either I leave with what I thought I purchased, or I'll toss my half-load on the lot and get a refund. Would you rather help me finish up loading or pack what's soon to be in your parking lot back up (the upper deck of the rack) here?" He helped me finish!

Bottom line...don't "let" any company or person guilt you into taking inferior material.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #11

Straight Framing Lumber

We have a local HD in our area. It was the only supplier for miles (84 Lumber went out of business) We were basically stuck with them. The lumber area was (and still is) in shambles due to people rooting and pillaging for the good stuff. Thea a Lowes moved in just accross the state line and WOW! what a difference I bought 2x4x10 's and everyone was as straight as an arrow. Plus it was less in price as well
rick32 is offline   Reply With Quote