To Storm Or Not To Storm... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,066

To Storm Or Not To Storm...

That is the question.

I have a 1940's Cape Cod that I am going to start replacing the original windows wich are about as energy efficient as a screen door, but I atleast have storms on there so I wasn't in the worst possible scenario. Anywho, If I am now gonna have new double or tripple insulated windows, do I even want to keep the storm windows that are on there now ? The ease of taking the strom windows off and putting them back in is no concern. I just want to know if I will really get any added benefit with them there. They do seal quite well, so well infact that I can open the window with the storm closed and feel almost no draft. One person I talked to mentioned I might be creating a "greenhouse" effect causing excess heat between the storm window and the double insulated window.

Matt

Advertisement

Matthewt1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

To Storm Or Not To Storm...

I have them on my house as original 1959 equipment, and am glad that I do. If nothing else, they keep the majority of the rain off the windows themselves, and minimize the chances of infiltration and leaks. They make a good place for spiders and bugs to go to die, which gets old, but otherwise I'm glad I have them.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote