Storm Door Clearance To Eave Edge - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 526

storm door clearance to eave edge

just noticed a potential problem on my reno project. New front door swings in,,no prob.

When I go to put a storm door and it swings out towards fascia board level says I am within half inch of hitting 'bare' fascia board that doesnt have soffit material on it or fascia metal cover YET.

Old fascia was 1 bye 4 but that didnt give me room for gutter or soffit install so used 1 bye 6.

I am installing last piece of vinyl siding on top of wall, undersill, F trim in prep of soffit metal fastened under fascia as is common. Having to tilt soffit up on house side about 4 inches to get front door clearance as is(very low slung roof typical of cheap 50's construction)

Also locked in to ends as both are finished and gable ends are covered,,,which prevents me from ripping entire length down for more clearance in absolute center, door area.

To get more door clearance was thinking of scrolling up inch or inch and a half on fascia width of door plus foot on each side,,,and trim cover to bend up and let soffit follow contour.

Would that LOOK dumb????Or lead to other problems I havent thought of yet??? Better way to mitigate???

Advertisement

4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

Quote:
Would that LOOK dumb????
Yes

Quote:
Or lead to other problems I havent thought of yet???
No.

Install the soffit inside of the fascia with the pitch of the roof.

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #3

Ron, thanks for the post. Following the roof with soffit is a good idea and very possible.

My main problem is that fascia clearance to where a door would swing,,,how do I increase that?

Half inch is pretty close since wall may not be 100% plumb which would send door higher or lower,,,hard to tell till I install one.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
Ron, thanks for the post. Following the roof with soffit is a good idea and very possible.

My main problem is that fascia clearance to where a door would swing,,,how do I increase that?

Half inch is pretty close since wall may not be 100% plumb which would send door higher or lower,,,hard to tell till I install one.
These doors have a wide margin vertically to install the door. The bottom "U" channel that wraps the door has at least a 1 1/2" gap on the bottom.
You can add a spacer at the top to drop the door down slightly to clear the soffit.
This is probably the least obvious solution.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 AM   #5

Ron,

thanks that is one angle I never ever thought of. that WILL work,,,thanks