Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-27-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Storage shelf above garage door

Hi there, I'm new to the forums here, hopefully someone can give me some advice or direction on where to go to get some advice. As I'm new here, I don't know who here is a professional and who isn't.

I'm in a Semi-detached home, my garage has a block wall on one side, and a framed wall on the opposite side. (just learnt thru research that cinder block and concrete blocks have different properties, not sure which I have, could you tell me how to determine which I have?)

What I'd like to do is build a shelf across that span(11ft). Roughly, the overall size would be about 11' x 13'. This will be for basic storage, kids toys, clothes, Christmas decorations, camping gear etc.

I am not sure what size of joists I should use, and spacing, and how best to attach them to each of the walls.

Should I put supports upwards to the floor joists above (our masterbedroom is above the garage)?

I assume 5/8 plywood for the floor would be sufficient.

My thoughts were to put a 2x?8? ledger lag bolted(a term I am not sure I fully understand) into the blocks on the one wall. And I have no idea how to attach the other end to the 2x4 studs.

Ultimately, my biggest concern is overall structural safety. I wouldn't want a future homeowner having it collapse.

I can post some pictures and more detailed dimensions if it would help.

Thanks for reading,

Kris

BigMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #2
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Depending on what you want to store, one easy way to do it is with 3/4" gas pipe.

Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Depending on what you want to store, one easy way to do it is with 3/4" gas pipe.
That's sure a great idea Michael, but not quite what I'm aiming for. I am kind of thinking something that will support my weight, plus a few hundred+ lbs of storage, considering it'll be about 140sq'. I guess I'm picturing a loft of sorts, with only 3ft of headroom.

Kris
Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
mcu

Rewards Points: 25

did you end up building this? I am going to start this today or tomorrow and was wondering what you used to build it. My concern is weight capacity. I am aiming to build a loft os 16x8 and hopefully be able to support 1000lbs or more.
mcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:59 AM   #5

>MCU, nope, I'm afraid I have yet to get on to this project... I've been working tooo much. Although I did finally get my fence project completed

Maybe now that this thread was bumped up, we might get a few more suggestions...

Good luck,

Post back and let me know what you ended up doing...

Kris
Old 08-25-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

0ne thing to keep in mind: the trusses/joists may not be intended/able to support that kind of weight - I could do it as shown above because that's not a typical garage ceiling but rather the underside of the floor of a conventionally framed building above.

Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote