Storage Rooms Inside A Detached Garage - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2008, 07:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Storage rooms inside a detached garage

I had my final yesterday and the inspector nailed me for not having soild doors between the garage and the storage rooms. In addition, he told me the door hinges have to be spring hinges that automatically shuts the door plus they must be insulated around the jams. I signed on the plans that these rooms would not be used for sleeping rooms. And nowhere on my plans does it say solid spring loaded doors.

Thought I'd run this by you guys prior to fighting city hall.

I guess my question/s are, is this code (I got my plans in prior to the new 2007 code). and two, if it doesn't state that on the plans, I'm I still required to put in these solid doors?

I'll cost me about $300 to do the three doors which hurts, but taking out the non-solid doors and redoing it makes me a tad upset.

Any advice welcome.

Advertisement

Last edited by SeanR; 01-19-2008 at 07:34 PM.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanR View Post
I had my final yesterday and the inspector nailed me for not having soild doors between the garage and the storage rooms. In addition he told me they have to have a spring hinge that automatically shuts the door plus they must be insulated around the jams. I signed on the plans that these rooms would not be used for sleeping rooms. And nowhere on my plans does it say solid spring loaded doors.
It won't matter what your plans say. Building code regulations ALWAYS supercede any plans.

Quote:
Thought I run this by you guys prior to fighting city hall.
Don't fight it, unless you like losing.

Quote:
I guess my question/s are, is this code (I got my plans in prior to the new 2007 code). and two, if it doesn't state that on the plans, I'm I still required to put in these solid doors?
It's been code prior to 2007. Again, it doesn't matter what plans say.
The sad reality is that plans, are inaccurate (they are man-made).
99% of the time, you will find some kind of error(s) on plans.
So, the plans mean squat when it comes to building codes. Building codes control what is put on plans. It there is something missing, then the company or person who did the plans, left out something, they goofed (again = It happens all the time)

Quote:
I'll cost me about $300 to do the three doors which hurts, but taking out the non-solid doors and redoing it makes me a tad upset.
I think it's gonna cost you more like $200.00 per door.

Quote:
Any advice welcome.
Go to a Big Home store and buy the doors (off the shelf) - prehung in the frame. The center hinge is spring loaded and the doors are fire-rated.

Advertisement

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-19-2008 at 07:37 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:29 PM   #3

Atlantic, yeah, I'm aware of that. But this is a detached garage (it sits about 10 feet from my house).
Old 01-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #4

Ohh...ok

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-19-2008 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #5

In that case, I haven't run into that before in a structure intended for non-residential use...

HOWEVER: You have mentioned that it stands "about" 10 feet away from the main house. That is an important point. Fire-code issues come into affect, in most areas, when the detached structure is less than 10' from a residence...

And relaize that towns can vary by what they want to see in their local requirements. They have some leeway in what they can enforce.

Example: One remodeling job we did 2 years ago;
The rough electrcial inspection was flunked because the local inspector wanted all exterior siding nail-ends (That were sticking into wall bays with electrical wiring) pounded flat.
That's not in the code books.

His point was that when insulation batts get put (pushed) into the wall bays, he didn't want the wiring to be ''pushed'' against the sharp nails, and pierce them.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-19-2008 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #6

So, I ran into town today and bought a solid core door (heavy suckers, they are). And see what it's like to change. One foot at a time. I'm going to leave up my jambs, so I just bought the slab. It was $50, the two spring hinges (don't need a middle spring hinge) where $14 each and the insulation strips where $13. My labor as usual, free. Grand total to change over one door is $90. Not to mention the original door cost of $80, but then I will use the old jamb and knobs/latch.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:17 PM   #7

Don't know if you are aware of it, but you can buy self closing fence-gate-springs, and use those.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:41 PM   #8

Thanks for suggestion. I'll go ahead and put this one up with the hinges, since I already bought them. But I'll check out those fence springs next trip into town. Thanks

Hey Atlantic. What's you first name? I'm sure it's not Build.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #9

It's John...John Doe....

Advertisement