Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM   #1

Share |

Storage in attic

Hi All,

I'm thinking of moving my attic hatch for the lower attic space of my side-split to over top of a short staircase. It's currently in an area that I wish to better utilize as storage space.

I'm hoping to find some sort of hatch that can be installed vertically and open as a set of stairs to a short hatch (say 4 feet tall) and then lay some plywood down on top of the trusses (bottom in the middle of the attic under the peak). I'd use this for light storage.

A few questions though...

1) if I sprayfoam under the ply and don't have loose fill above the ply but have it in all other areas other than this 4 foot wide span do you think that would significantly affect the efficiency of the whole attic insulation? I'd use screen to hold the loose fill from getting on the platform.

2) Weight shouldn't be an issue because I'm just looking to store akward things like christmas decorations and the like. Around what wieght should I start to be concerned with? There is a load bearing wall that runs directly to the left this area.

3) This is just in the what if.. phase now, but any other ideas or advice?

Pic of attic:

Thanks!
Pete

pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:19 AM   #2

Storage in attic

Nice to see a well insulated attic for a change. I understand that is a lot of unused space, and tempting, to fill it with stuff But that will be hard to properly insulate and use for storage. Foam is good, but since you have trusses(probably 2x4), you would have to build up the bottom leg to allow for lots of foam, under the new floor. And those trusses may not be designed for adding storage space, anyhow.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
DIY or die !

Storage in attic

I have an almost identicle situation, and have been wondering the exact same thing. Would you have to build up over the top of the trusses in order to accomodate room for the insulation? How would this be done effectively ?

Very curious to see the outcome of this project. keep us posted !
lewisthepilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #4
Tileguy

Storage in attic

Have any of you considered that that space is not intended to support additional weight and will likely cause trusses to separate and ceilings below to crack and sag? just askin'?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (12-09-2011)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

Storage in attic

Yes Bud, I considered that as one of my first concerns. That's my question #2. Would the weight of 3 4x8 sheets of plywood and maybe 200 pounds of stored material spread out over 20 feet be a weight concern?

Looks like I might move the attic hatch but keep it a regular hatch and leave the attic alone. Too bad...I always seem to want more space.

Here's a good article from a guy who tries to persuade people to not do this.
http://jimrooneyonthelevel.com/2006/0729.htm

Last edited by pete0403; 12-09-2011 at 05:56 PM.
pete0403 is offline   Reply With Quote