Stop Work Order - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Stop Work Order

Have a triplex property on the coast in Nor Cal and am in the middle of a DIY project. I am building a small -7' x 12' deck w/railing. A bldg. Inspector walked by when my workers were on the job. Since I am doing this without a permit he issued a stop work order -- red tag. I want to finish the deck myself. It's about 70% complete. Due to budget constraints, the City wants to bill me for staff time, review committees, plan reviews. Give me a break.... For a lil deck. The City fees will be 2x the actual costs for labor & materials. I may be charged with a misdemeanor or demanded to tear down the deck and posts...... Do I cave and pay and face a smaller deck??? Pls. Advise on taking the risks. Kelly.

Advertisement

Steve Kellenber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Stop Work Order

Welcome to the forum.

You already took the risk and lost. You didn’t play by the rules and got busted. Now you have to pay to play like everybody else.

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #3
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stop Work Order

Hello and welcome Steve to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.Sounds like a familiar story to my brother-in-law in Santa Rosa, he was just changing a railing on an existing deck when an inspector red tagged, cost him a bunch, but he did get it straightened out.

Mark

Last edited by Jackofall1; 08-20-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Jackofall1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Stop Work Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kellenber View Post
Have a triplex property on the coast in Nor Cal and am in the middle of a DIY project. I am building a small -7' x 12' deck w/railing. A bldg. Inspector walked by when my workers were on the job. Since I am doing this without a permit he issued a stop work order -- red tag. I want to finish the deck myself. It's about 70% complete. Due to budget constraints, the City wants to bill me for staff time, review committees, plan reviews. Give me a break.... For a lil deck. The City fees will be 2x the actual costs for labor & materials. I may be charged with a misdemeanor or demanded to tear down the deck and posts...... Do I cave and pay and face a smaller deck??? Pls. Advise on taking the risks. Kelly.
You deserve what you get. That's what happens when you want to do something illegal. And now your complaining.....Are you for real? Now...go have a good cry.

Last edited by Joe Carola; 08-20-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Joe Carola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Carola For This Useful Post:
12penny (08-21-2011)
Old 08-20-2011, 08:33 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stop Work Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kellenber View Post
Bend over, you're about to get screwed in So, Cal.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote