Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 PM   #1

Share |

stone work around a wood heater?

I'm in the middle of building a house. I will have a conventional heat and air, but living in the country there's just too much wood availiable not to use wood.

I'll be using a wood heater and what I'd like to do is use cement board inplace of sheat rock in the corner and atach stone to it for decoration and as a heat shield.

I'm not sure what the proper distance the wood heater should be away from the wall and the best way to attach the stone work. My idea was to use liquid nail to atach the stone and then use morter mix and sand to grout the stone and use a tuck to get the morter mix behind any crevaces. Would this work or do I need a thin-set?

Thanks,
Will
will52100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
Custom Cabinet Maker

No NO on liquid nails Thinset would be waaaaaaaaaaay better. Cement board great choice.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #3

Thanks, what about recomended distance? this isn't a cool top wood heater.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #4
Custom Cabinet Maker

manufacturer should have given that in paperwork. My GUESS would be a good foot plus all around at a minimum. If you dont have a manual most likely you can goodle the mfg website and get them from there.
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:31 PM   #5

Thanks, I was figuring on about 3-4 feet minimal, I'll see if I can find some manufacuters specs.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:08 PM   #6

In most counties in Oregon you have to have a space between the wall and the rock surrounding the wood stove. It has to have vents at the bottom and vents at the top.

This has an added bonus of moving air around the warm rock.
Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 PM   #7

How would you do that? Sheet rock the studs and then put stand offs a inch or so away from the sheet rock and put vents in?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:20 PM   #8

Hi Wil

Cement board is the way to go, I have been looking at different types of fireplaces, as I want to use real stone but not full stone(cause of the weight factor, I came across a website http://www.cutriverock.com it may be of some interest to you, it was to me.
edgepicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:33 PM   #9

You can also get a board designed to go behind a wood stove. you sit it about 6" off the ground with 1" standoffs to give it room to breathe. It will warm the air behind the board and through convection the air will move up to keep it safe. An added benefit is that this will move the air as well in the room.

Normally you need about 1.5 feet clearance all the way around the wood stove for combustibles.
Attached Images

Andrew Whitehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 02:01 PM   #10

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You may want to check with your insurance company about their regulations. Their standards may be tighter than the codes.

Since they look at exposures (number of customers) in an area anf the history of problems in the area, they may have a high premium or refuse to insure.

My mother had a code installed wood burner, but the insurance company suggested she look elsewhere for coverage.

Since insurance is a gamble on either side, there is no requirement that a carrier must insure someone, but they can adjust the rates depending on the exposure.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by will52100 View Post
How would you do that? Sheet rock the studs and then put stand offs a inch or so away from the sheet rock and put vents in?

Thanks.
I use lag bolts and drill through the cement board into the studs. I leave 1" gap and then put the rock or tile on the cement board with an opening at the bottom and an opening at the top.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:01 PM   #12

Thanks, I did manage to look up the installation instructions and the minimum distance for this model to standard wall material like panneling or such is 19". I figure with cement board and stone I should be safe at 24".

Thanks,
Will
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 PM   #13

don't forget your smoke pipe clearances, and your above roof clearances. If you have a problem in the future, and you did not get an inspection, your insurance company can refuse coverage.

And do not use that triple wall junk!
fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:29 AM   #14

Tripple wall Junk? You talking about the exhaust pipe? I had planned on using double walled insulated pipe for the penitrations.

I'm not too worried about ins., state farm is my carrier, but I will check with them befor installation.