Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Stone Veneer over Cinder Blocks

I have a cinderblock foundation home that I'd like to stone veneer the exterior. I'm experienced at setting tile, but have little masonary experience.

I did a brief search both here at the site, and googled, and either found little info specific to cinders, or more, conflicting opinions on the prep work. Some say metal lathe, some not. Some say to put a scratch coat on first, and wait 2 hours, others wait 48 hours. Some said just butter the backs, and stick them on........etc, etc.

Here are the specifics to my application. I'll be running a band, ranging from 2' to 4' tall around the entire perimeter of the home. The blocks have never been painted, nor do I see any signs of sealing. I have a 2x8 skirt around the perimeter just above the cinders. I've not chose the veneer yet, but plan for it to be no thicker/taller than 1 3/4", so that it doesn't stick out further than the skirt.

Can someone please advise me on the proper application?
Thanks!
Regards,
Jules

Old 03-20-2011, 08:54 AM   #2

Another question -

My plan was to build up some dirt around the foundation to help with runoff, after installing the veneer. Any issues with putting dirt directly against the stone veneer??

Old 03-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

All of the stone veneers I am familiar with are in reality concrete. A little dirt on them or burying a few isn't going to hurt anything that I can see.

As far as an installation method...all of those products come with instructions.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
As far as an installation method...all of those products come with instructions.
You mean, read the instructions?? That's asking a little much, isn't it?

I am probably trying to over-think it. The internet is a double edged sword. Just in the brief time I've researched it today, I've learned a lot, but also been given too many things to worry about....

thanks for chiming in.
Jules
Old 03-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:
You mean, read the instructions??
Yes, when all else fails - resort to the instructions.

Quote:
I am probably trying to over-think it.
Yup!

Quote:
I've learned a lot, but also been given too many things to worry about....
Like what? What's to worry about? Follow the instructions.

Always follow the manufacturer’s recommendations as the first source of information...
I read that somewhere!
Old 03-20-2011, 12:35 PM   #6

Quote:

Like what? What's to worry about? Follow the instructions.

Always follow the manufacturerís recommendations as the first source of information...
I read that somewhere!
Yeah, seems like I read it not to long ago myself......

First, I didn't know that stone veneers came with instructions. That's a bonus. I've bought a box or two of tile over the years. Never ran into anything that resembled instructions.
Really, the only thing that I ran into that could be of possible real concern was the manufactered stone has a high moisture absorption rate, compared to natural stone. The site went on to discuss seperation from the structure issues, due to contraction/expansion.......like I said. looking too hard for stuff to worry about.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #7
Tileguy

Quote:
That's a bonus. I've bought a box or two of tile over the years. Never ran into anything that resembled instructions.
That's "tile", not veneer faux stone.
All manufacturers have printed instructions available. The instructions may not come in each box, they are usually in the form of a three-fold paper brochure with pictures and everything. They even tell you what products to use to install the stone.

What stone are you looking at? What's the manufacturers name? Jheeeeezh!
Old 03-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

Quote:
What stone are you looking at? What's the manufacturers name? Jheeeeezh!
Haven't got that far. Had a brainfart last night, and decided to install the veneer first, instead of last, so I can go ahead and do the dirt work around the home.

Thought I'd grab a little knowledge here before I went "shopping".

Long story boring..... doing a complete gut rehab with exterior wall and window changes. I always like to work from top to bottom. That's what I intended to do here. roof, trim, stucco, paint, veneer. Gravity has a way of messing things up below your work, as you know. But in this case, I think I'll break tradition. I just need to get some drainage issues under control.

Any perfered lines? I have approx. 350sqft to cover, and would like to stay under 7$/ft, if that's possible.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

My experience has been with real creek rock, but I see no problem using fine sand and brixment to do your type of rock. Just be sure to keep your ratio of the mix consistant, and the tinting of the mortar that is exposed if you so desire to do it. Have a basket full of wood blocks for proping up the rock,depending what style you pick out. Anything too uniform looks fake, and remember,the secret in doing your job, is have wire brushes handy, and at the end of the day wire brush any mortar off the faces of the rock. It takes days for mortar to get hard under the rock, so don't rush it. Do your practicing behind the house, by the time your in front of the house you'll be a pro. Remember it's the mortar joint that separates the men from the boy's, or should I say the Ladies from the girls ! !
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesB View Post
I have a cinderblock foundation home that I'd like to stone veneer the exterior. I'm experienced at setting tile, but have little masonary experience.

I did a brief search both here at the site, and googled, and either found little info specific to cinders, or more, conflicting opinions on the prep work. Some say metal lathe, some not. Some say to put a scratch coat on first, and wait 2 hours, others wait 48 hours. Some said just butter the backs, and stick them on........etc, etc.

Here are the specifics to my application. I'll be running a band, ranging from 2' to 4' tall around the entire perimeter of the home. The blocks have never been painted, nor do I see any signs of sealing. I have a 2x8 skirt around the perimeter just above the cinders. I've not chose the veneer yet, but plan for it to be no thicker/taller than 1 3/4", so that it doesn't stick out further than the skirt.

Can someone please advise me on the proper application?
Thanks!
Regards,
Jules
Some stone requires a ledge to rest on. Sort of like a brick ledge which is part of the foundation. If there is no ledge, you would need to bolt a steel angle to the foundation to carry the load.
It will all be in those elusive instructions or the manufacturers website.
Ron
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb View Post
Remember it's the mortar joint that separates the men from the boy's, or should I say the Ladies from the girls ! !
Bernie,
Thanks for the pointers. I hadn't come across having a variety of wood blocks at hand. If I happen to choose a heavy stone, I could see that would be handy.

As far as gender....... whose been telling you about my crossdressing on the weekends??
I'm a guy. Or at least I've got my wife and daughters fooled into thinking so.
no worries......
Old 03-20-2011, 02:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Some stone requires a ledge to rest on. Sort of like a brick ledge which is part of the foundation. If there is no ledge, you would need to bolt a steel angle to the foundation to carry the load.
It will all be in those elusive instructions or the manufacturers website.
Ron
Ron
I ran across the possibility of needing angle iron on one of my searches. As I commented in a previous post, I'd like to find a shallow veneer to keep it under, or mostly under, the house skirt. Hopefully, in doing so, it will be a light weight variety, and I'll be able to skip this step. Steel isn't cheap, and hooking into cinderblocks has always been a pain, in my opinion.

As of this morning, I knew almost nothing about faux stone. Have quickly learned that due to the variety of styles, shapes, thicknesses, and weights, installation procedures seem to be all over the board. So yes, I'll give in, and read the installation instructions.......ugh
Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 150

Jules,I didn't read your profile ,sorry..............a lady laying rock, have I lost my mind. Ron6519 is right,you need to snap a chalkline, and use a piece of angle iron, or a straight 2x4 and move it along after a couple of days.
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb View Post
Jules,I didn't read your profile ,sorry..............a lady laying rock, have I lost my mind. Ron6519 is right,you need to snap a chalkline, and use a piece of angle iron, or a straight 2x4 and move it along after a couple of days.
No worries. Actually, not the first time it's happened. My name is Julian, but as the user name suggests, everyone calls me Jules.
I just assumed you had to leave the angle iron there for heavier stones. If you can apply 8 or 10 feet, let it set, then move it down. That would be prefered, saving cost on angle. And I assume, doing it for the first time, by myself, I probably won't get much further than 10' at a shot anyway. Who knows, I might be a natural......
Old 03-21-2011, 07:55 AM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

I would at least power wash the wall first possibly even etch it with acid if I thought it was necessary.

After that, you treat it as a prepped wall, no lath or pre-coat necessary in almost all apps. I would recommend a tinted basecoat of plaster if you're installing a drystack stone w/o grout in the joints though.

You really don't need an angle or temporary support of any kind IF you are applying correctly with the correct mortar.

As for brands, the options are endless. Getting under $7 a sq. foot will limit you somewhat, but I would check out a local masonry supplier to see what options they have.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote