Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 AM   #1

Share |

Stone Shed Pad Questions

Hello all,

Spring project for this weekend is building the pad for my future shed purchase and I was wondering if anyone could clarify my options or had any suggestions.

Shed will be 10x16

Pad will be 12x18

There is only about a 3-4" deviation in the grade where I want to put the pad.

I don't want the pad flush with the ground.

Should I construct the perimeter of this pad from 1 layer of 6x6 with 36" rebar in the ground every 3ft. using the lowest elevation for my reference point?

Or maybe better of using 2 layers of 4x4's digging out the ground a little?

Also, if you recommend 2 rows, how far should I offset the ties? I am trying to make this an easy project with minimal cutting, as in would it be ok to use a 10' and 8' for the 18' side just alternating the directions per layer? Using 12' ties for both layers on the sides would be fine right? (staggering corners of course)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Mr. Shed; 03-20-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Mr. Shed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 AM   #2

Stone Shed Pad Questions

I don't really understand what you're doing. What is the pad made out of? Are the 4x4's (6x6)the perimeter or are they the pad?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:40 AM   #3

Stone Shed Pad Questions

Sorry for the lack of details it was late , I am speaking purely about constructing the perimeter of the shed pad, the inside of which will be filled with a minimum of 4" of #67 stone.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #4

Stone Shed Pad Questions

I'm with ron here...

4x4's or 6x6's aren't a good long-term approach to building a pad, especially if you want the building to last. A concrete footing is definitely in order.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM   #5

Stone Shed Pad Questions

I have ruled out concrete for quite a few reasons, with cost and permanence of shed location being the top two. I have been told by many, including the building inspector that a stone pad done properly is fine for the size shed I am getting. (The shed is delivered built on PT skids). You really feel a stone pad is sub-par?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #6

Stone Shed Pad Questions

Par is concrete, so yes, I think that stone is not nearly as good as concrete when you're considering setting a building on it. That being said, many people use stone for shed bases and they do just fine. Would I? Nope.

Our confusion is derived from the 4x4/6x6 issue. Are you wanting to contain the stone with wood? Or is the building sitting on wood skids that are in turn sitting on the stone pad?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:27 AM   #7

Stone Shed Pad Questions

I am purely speaking of how to construct the perimeter of the pad which will contain the stone. The building will be sitting on wood skids that are in turn sitting on the stone pad

I just was not sure if one rung of 6x6 with 3' rebar in the ground every 3' would suffice, or 2 rungs of 4x4. Or should it be 2 rungs of 6x6 etc......

Ultimately I would like the pad itself off the ground but no higher than 7.5" if I can help it.

I priced concrete and I'm not getting a truck here for less than $500 just for the concrete, I would need @ 3.2 cu/yds. Not to mention I have never had to do anything nice looking (as in above grade and visible) with concrete so me attempting to level a pad might be a disaster.......

Last edited by Mr. Shed; 03-20-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #8

Stone Shed Pad Questions

maybe you shoud dig in at least 1 row of 6x6 all the way around to get some of the topsoil away and contain the stone better,maybe use a compacter as you go, let thigs drain out on the low side,might be a good idea to make the gravel pad bigger than the shed base to catch any runoff from the shed roof

Last edited by Tom Struble; 03-20-2009 at 09:10 AM.
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:46 AM   #9

Stone Shed Pad Questions

You will need to connect the corners on this wood perimeter. I wouldn't just put in rebar into the ground. The weight of the stone and the weight of the shed will cause the corners to blow out.
Heavey duty exterior angle brackets, not just the corners pinned with spikes.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 AM   #10

Stone Shed Pad Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You will need to connect the corners on this wood perimeter. I wouldn't just put in rebar into the ground. The weight of the stone and the weight of the shed will cause the corners to blow out.
Heavey duty exterior angle brackets, not just the corners pinned with spikes.
Ron
Absolutely. The rebar won't do much.

Compaction of the stone would be very important as well.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Stone Shed Pad Questions

I've seen people drag those sheds into thier yards and never set them on anything other than the bare ground. They sit there for years without any issues. The cost of a concrete pad will be higher than the cost of the shed. Use 6x6s. Level them and overlap the corners. Drill 3-4" in from the ends of every joint and drive a 3/4" rebar through them. That includes all joints along the sides as well as the corners. I'm not sure what #67 stone is, but use something that water can drain through. It will be fine.

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote