Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #1

Share |

Stone Foundation with large gaps and cracks

hello,

my 18" thick stone foundation has large gaps (noticed after removing deck) and needs repair. it has probably been like this for >20 years.

foundation is 90 years old. obviously some settling has happened, or some serious shifting.

this picture is foundation for a 1 story room, an extension of the house.

how to repair? i need to INJECT a large amount of cement into the gap? what type? what tool?

then finish with a parge layer after injected cement dries.

thanks!

Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #2

well, they don't have anything at the local HD that can help..

Old 10-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
Professional Mason

Just patching with cement will not solve your problem. The foundation is unstable. I would replace foundation. In your location packing a large hole such as that would create more problems. The problem is with the footing.
southeastmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #4

I agree!

Been there, done that. The only solution that will work is to replace it, including the footer.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:48 PM   #5

let me make a WILD A** 'guess' here. the side that is coated over(like surewall or similiar) 'PROBABLY' looked the very same and THATS why it was coated or surewalled. "IF" and ONLY if this wall isnt moving ANY 'more'(defined OLD movement),,,coating it after filling the gaps MAY fix it,,,or if continual movement is occuring,,you would have to take it out and replace,,,including footing as already said. So you 'want' to gamble and temp fix it for now??OR take it out,spend tons of bucks, and fix it right first time?? You are only one to answer these questions. TIME will tell which way is RIGHT!!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #6

certainly looks rough, doesn't it,,, you'll probably be best served by jacking up the house 1/2" & replacing original stone w/new conc footer/walls,,, 1st get an idea of how much present movement there is along w/how far its moved out of line,,, the 2nd's easy w/4' level, line level, & stringline,,, the 1st requires some simple mortar or plaster patching then watch for cracking.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 08:50 PM   #7

i think it is an old crack.

the rest of the foundation looks OK. i parged it a few years ago and there was no damage like that anywhere else.

i would like to fix this properly, before the deck gets installed next year and removes easy access.

my course of action:

i fill it with cement, parge outer surface and hope for the best. evaluate after winter (8 months from now) and see if there has been any movement.

if movement, then...

can you go into detail about this repair?

Last edited by Knucklez; 10-07-2008 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM   #8

i mean, the first repair. where i was planning on simply filling the hole(s) with stones and cement.

what type of cement? how can i "inject" the cement into the cracks?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:25 PM   #9

using some solid stone, bagg'd mortar mix, & margin trowel, start filling it,,, you'd want to saturate the existing stone/mortar 1st so their dryness wouldn't suck out the wtr from the patch mortar,,, think you've got the right idea.

bear in mind this may be only temp so leave some sort of access otherwise you'll become expert at these repairs on your belly which is no fun at all especially in hot, muggy weather,,, don't ask me how i know this - i just know.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #10

thx for giving me the confidence to continue. a big crack like that can be scary.

by saturate the stone, do you mean spritz it with a water bottle first?
Old 10-12-2008, 07:52 AM   #11
Advice worth 2 cents!

wait a sec...

The problem you have is major but it can be fixed. If you go to a big box store, that'll be your first mistake. If you go by why I or others here say, it'll be the second one.

Get in touch with a pro, contact Sitka or Mapei and have a good talk with the tech reps.

I'm not a pro but, your probably going to end up using a high density, low shrinkage, grouting compound. I've seen it applied using a grout bag which is just like frosting a cake. The parging if done properly, will be "hi-tech" also.

Specialty companies like Sitka and Mapei cannot take the risks by selling their products in hardware stores. It takes too much technical support to get the right product for the right job! (like in your case)

The foundation can be saved. You might also consider having it shot on the inside with foam.

-peter
Old 10-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #12

Yup, I'd give a shout to "Sika" too.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 AM   #13

pete's makes a good point but apron stores don't even sell grout for conc, only floors/tile.

'sika' is a well-respected manufacturer of specialty cements, coatings, sealants, etc - mapei better known for leveling compounds,,, having used both, being a pro, & reading your degree of understanding/approach/patience, my words stand.

what's the worst that can happen - you waste a day finding out you weren't so smart ??? to me, that's a good bet.

to the naysayers who'll scoff, that means keep your level & plumb handy & ck the house every day.

ps - foam is not a structural material in this instance.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:54 PM   #14

ok, i used quickrite mortar mix and stuffed the cracks best i could. i will parge over top and then wait out the winter season see how it holds.

i'll put line marks on the stone and measure out from stationary wall and keep track of its movement over the next few months.

i'm 80% confident that a pro will be here next spring

Knucklez
Old 07-20-2009, 09:52 AM   #15

Hey Knuckelz
Yet another repair I have searched out that I found you have already encountered.

How did your quickcrete repair hold up over the winter? What do you or others recomend after filling in the voids. Is their a cementous product for skimming over the surface from the interior?

jim

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote