Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Stone Cap falling off

Hi!

I've posted this in the masonry forum, and after awhile, I think it may had been the wrong place to post. I also didn't know what I was talking about at the time, where I now feel a little more knowledgable.

I have a brick 1st story and a sided 2nd story. There's a "stone cap" that sits on top of the brick where the transition is from the brick to siding. In one place, the stone cap is starting to fall off and something needs to be done to fix it. I'm afraid that it's going to fall off and damage something underneath it.

Are these 'stone caps' just held in place by gravity? Should they be attached to something? In order to fix this, do I just push it back into place and not worry about it?

Here are some picture that describe what I'm talking about...

Thanks.

wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 516

Stone Cap falling off

Stone caps like that are usually mortared in place. You will probably need to remove it, clean out any old loose mortar and re-set it.

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,996

Stone Cap falling off

Can you shoot a picture from further back?
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #4

Stone Cap falling off

Here's a shot zoomed out. I'll take another one looking under it later today.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 670

Stone Cap falling off

You're going to get better answers from people in the masonry forum than you are here. The luminaire have a lot more knowledge about masonry problems and will give you a much better long-term solution.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:01 PM   #6

Stone Cap falling off

Msradell, you are correct. At first, the Masonry forum was kind of quiet and felt like I didn't really get great advice, that's why I came here.

Another user responded today about it. To make a long story short, turns out that it's just kind of cemented up there with mortar. They suggest taking it completely off, scraping all the existing mortar off, then relaying it back in.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Stone Cap falling off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Msradell, you are correct. At first, the Masonry forum was kind of quiet and felt like I didn't really get great advice, that's why I came here.

Another user responded today about it. To make a long story short, turns out that it's just kind of cemented up there with mortar. They suggest taking it completely off, scraping all the existing mortar off, then relaying it back in.
That'd be the best way, IMHO, to do the repair (remove the existing mortar and laying on new mortar).

Besides moving the ladder around (looks pretty high) the outside weather may be a problem. Not so much the temperature but that the air is too dry.

If you have any liquid nails, a couple of dabs may work to keep it place until you can get it.
DL's husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #8

Stone Cap falling off

Thanks, that's a good tip. It is pretty high; my 18' extension ladder won't reach it. I live around Chicago so it's still in the 20's on good days.

I think that is the general consensus; get it pushed back into place and worry more about it later. My primary concern is that it's going to fall off as it's on the end and it's just kind of wedged in for now. Right below it is where the satellite dish is, a/c, and electrical. If it were to fall, it would be bad.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 81

Stone Cap falling off

My hack way would be to use PL Premium Advanced.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:36 PM   #10

Stone Cap falling off

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiz561 View Post
Thanks, that's a good tip. It is pretty high; my 18' extension ladder won't reach it. I live around Chicago so it's still in the 20's on good days.

I think that is the general consensus; get it pushed back into place and worry more about it later. My primary concern is that it's going to fall off as it's on the end and it's just kind of wedged in for now. Right below it is where the satellite dish is, a/c, and electrical. If it were to fall, it would be bad.

I know about the weather there. Every time I call my mom (Glendale Heights) she ask me about the weather here (Virginia) and tells me I'm lucky.
DL's husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:46 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 493

Stone Cap falling off

Are you sure that's concrete and not lumber.?
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #12

Stone Cap falling off

Yup. We determined that it's some sort of a limestone. It's definitely not lumber (or composite).
The Following User Says Thank You to wiz561 For This Useful Post:
Jb1234 (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 09:47 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 206

Stone Cap falling off

Caps can be made from limestone, marble, and even granite. If I remember correctly there is a special type of mortar used to adhere cap stone to brick. I just can't remember what is is. Maybe if you do a search online for mortar types to fasten cap stone to brick it may give you in the correct source.
landfillwizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #14

Stone Cap falling off

That cap stone is formed.

It was poured into a mold either in longer lengths and cut to size or sold in that dimension.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:21 PM   #15
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,128

Stone Cap falling off

As I typed in the other thread, that sill certainly appears to be Indiana Bedford stone, which is cut out of the ground in massive chunks and cut down to size for many different uses, including sills, hearthstones, water tables, bands, wall caps, etc......

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote