Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 528

Stone Bed For Shed

Hello,
I am planning to add a backyard shed 16 ft X 12 ft. My township does not allow a 4 inch slab to support it; but will allow a 4 inch stone bed.
I plan to hire a contractor to lay a level bed. I need to know what size stone to order. I also need to know "what keeps the stone on the outer edge of the shed from washing or breaking away? Should the contractor use a perimeter of pressure treated wood rated for ground contact to prevent this?
The ptw is only for keeping the stone in and not to support the shed.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Stone Bed For Shed

Crusher run, but may have a different name, crushed rock with stone dust to about 1". Packs very tightly, won't move around, drains well. A frame of PT 4x4 can't hurt, but probably not a necesity.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

Stone Bed For Shed

I would definitely put in a perimeter of PTW to keep the stone together and to have a even line to weed whack and cut grass to.

No concrete ? can not understand that one.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 528

Stone Bed For Shed

Its because the local municipal authority has an 30 foot easement near my proposed locaton for the shed where there is a sewer line located. This line runs across my property in the rear of it. What it all means is that if it is ever necessary for them to dig down to check the sewer line; the concrete slab would be harder to deal with then a bed of stone; I think or whatever. I do not know how much room they need to dig. But in applying for the permit for the work, I had to sign a declaration making me responsible for the removal of the shed if it needs to be removed. The shed will be about 6 to 7 feet away from the center line of the sewer.
rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote