Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2009, 01:24 PM   #1

Share |

Stone BBQ Island Height?

Hi All.

I had a BBQ island built with 6" Cambridge Matryx stones. I plan on adding a granite countertop, which is 1 1/4" thick w/no seams. Right now the grill cooking area height is 39". I will have to raise the grill 1 1/4" due to granite depth + 1/2" for the lip around the perimeter of the grill to allow it to sit on top of the granite. This will raise the cooking area to approx. 41" (seems too high?!), leave a gap between the bottom of the grill and the stone below it and necessitate re-setting the supports for the grill.

The other option is to cut down each top stone about 1 3/4" and reset them (24 stones). I like this option and wouldn't mind paying a little more for it but the mason I'm using doesn't recommend it because the smooth tops of these stones may become rough and he doesn't have the machine to cut these large stones anyway.

Here's a pic!

Please help me with potential solutions. This is driving me nuts! Thank You!
Attached Thumbnails
Stone BBQ Island Height?-dsc02007.jpg  

bobssurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Stone BBQ Island Height?

hire a real mason or rent the saw. Next time try planning out the job better. Another option is to use a less deep top. Maybe make a concrete counter.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:24 PM   #3

Stone BBQ Island Height?

Well... I thought the job would have been well planned since the patio came out so nice. The mason said to bring the countertop flush with the grill, but the granite measurer said that the outer lip of the grill should sit on top of the granite. I did inquire around and in each case I was told that the lip should sit on the granite. I want the top stones cut down and maybe I can look into renting a saw or having another mason look at it for a second opinion. The granite guy also stated that I need to provide additional support for the countertop. I was thinking of building up cinder blocks in a couple of areas recommended on the inside.

Last edited by bobssurfin; 09-07-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #4

Stone BBQ Island Height?

You need something soft between those blocks and the granite is what the countertop guy meant, like a piece of 3/8" plywood, or the granite may break.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:52 PM   #5

Stone BBQ Island Height?

The granite guy said that the countertop sitting on the stones is OK and we could further support with bricks and/or cinder blocks in weak areas. This was acceptable to them.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #6

Stone BBQ Island Height?

What size/type of saw should be used to cut through these large stones?
Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 PM   #7

Stone BBQ Island Height?

Then your countertop guy will be happy to replace it free for you when it cracks?

You have a hard, uneven, shifty base for a brittle, thin slab of granite. The point loads when your kid places their ass upon on it will most likely break it as is.

<shrug> Whatever they are willing to guarantee (which I guarantee they won't).
Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #8

Stone BBQ Island Height?

Decided to raise the grill and add/cut stones underneath. Cutting each top stone would be messy and may cause uneveness,

As far as laying granite slab on top row of stones and additional supports, I contacted the stone company I'm using and one other. They both stated that it was no problem. They do it all the time. The top row of stones on my BBQ are 10" deep all around and are flat/smooth and level. I don't see how the granite would crack. Nobody's gonna be dancin on top of this
Old 09-09-2009, 10:05 PM   #9

Stone BBQ Island Height?

Did they tell you they do it all the time or did they guarantee it from breaking? It is your deal, I don't really care, but that is not the correct way to mount it. Are they are least going to mortar set the top?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #10

Stone BBQ Island Height?

Yes. They are going to mortar set it but I don't understand why you think the granite will break. Once set, It's not going to move and I think it would take a pretty significant force slamming into it to break or crack.

I will let you know how it comes out. Tx.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #11

Stone BBQ Island Height?

If it is mortar set, there is no problem at all.