Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2008, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

stinky subfloor

I'm ready to remodel the kitchen in my fixer-upper house. At some point in time, rodents had gotten into the space under the cabinets and created quite a mess. I cleaned up the mess about a year ago, but, under the right conditions, there is still some odor. Now with the remodel, I'll rip out everything and I'll be in a position to do something permanent about this.

I'm considering putting down a layer of, say, 1/2" plywood over the current subfloor, perhaps with a layer of plastic between the subfloor and the new plywood. I think this would do the trick, and the additional height is not going to be a problem. I'm just wondering if anybody has comments or suggestions. Thanks.

Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #2

stinky subfloor

Covering up the issue wouldn't be my solution. Neutralizing the odor would be the first thing I would try. If that failed, I would remove the boards. The plastic isn't going to stop the odor from below the plastic.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 10:25 PM   #3

stinky subfloor

I definately agree with Ron. Covering up the nasty wood is not a good idea. Get rid of it and replace it with new.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

stinky subfloor

I agree with the above.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #5

stinky subfloor

I've already used some powerful odor neutralizer (Epoleon NnZ) and once I get the cabinets out of the way, I can do a more thorough cleanup/deodorizing. The odor now is only noticeable when the conditions are just wrong, and even then it's pretty faint. I figure I can reduce the odor to practically nil, but I'm just looking for some insurance. Since the subfloor is structurally sound, and given that it would be a lot of work to replace it (I know this for a fact---I replaced the subfloor in a bathroom remodel), I don't think that's going to happen.

So, given these constraints, what would you think? Maybe a thick coat of primer?
Jeremy Hillary Boob, PhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

stinky subfloor

Some stainblocking primer like oil-based Kilz would be a good idea if you're dead-set on not replacing the wood. The problem is that although you're not smelling it now, when the humidity in the home increases smells will tend to leech out.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #7

stinky subfloor

You would need to bring into the space someone who hasn't been working there on a regular basis. What may seem to be a reduction of the odor might just be, you having gotten used to the smell.
After youv'e done all you have planned to do, bring in a few females and see if it passes that test. If it does, you're good to go. If not, Plan "B".
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote