Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2008, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

still cant find where water is getting into my basement

found mold on the baseboard in the corner of my basement..i carefully took down the wood paneling, ripped out the sheetrock and insulation and foung some major funky whitish pink mold lookin stuff on one area...lots of grungy look stuff all over the painted cinder block and areas where the paint was peeling off to bare cinder block

i could see a little moisture on the walls in certain spots but not the source..i have a feeling im taking on a job too big for me to handle...its supposed to rain tomrrow night, so im hoping that that will help me find the spots where water is gettin in...

this is most likey being caused by rainwater not draining properly in that corner of the house..the pipe that the downspout connects to has not worked properly in years, according to my parents...

what should i be looking for on the outside of the house? should i start digging outside in the corner also where the faulty drainage pipe is also..

thanks for any suggestions, help

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

It's probably seeping through the cinder block. You'll probably need to rip more off in the corner, then scrape it with a hard brush to clean it. Then apply some kind of water seal paint all over it with a brush. You have to get something like Drylock that can withstand hydrostatic pressure. ALso buy some of that black outdoor piping and divert your downspouts a good ways from your house. I diverted mine about 10 feet through some bushes. That pretty much did the trick. If you do find any visible holes, get some of the Drylock Fastplug sealer. You can mix it in very small batches and shove it into the holes. I usually wear rubber gloves and do it by hand.

jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashme18 View Post
found mold on the baseboard in the corner of my basement..i carefully took down the wood paneling, ripped out the sheetrock and insulation and foung some major funky whitish pink mold lookin stuff on one area...lots of grungy look stuff all over the painted cinder block and areas where the paint was peeling off to bare cinder block

i could see a little moisture on the walls in certain spots but not the source..i have a feeling im taking on a job too big for me to handle...its supposed to rain tomrrow night, so im hoping that that will help me find the spots where water is gettin in...

this is most likey being caused by rainwater not draining properly in that corner of the house..the pipe that the downspout connects to has not worked properly in years, according to my parents...

what should i be looking for on the outside of the house? should i start digging outside in the corner also where the faulty drainage pipe is also..

thanks for any suggestions, help
You have to fix the outside before you fix the inside.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #4

pics would help
ehoez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #5

here are some pix...let me know if u need more...im hoping i dont have to open these walls up even more to find the problem.. maybe i can get some free tools out of this job from my parents
Attached Thumbnails
still cant find where water is getting into my basement-p6050540.jpg   still cant find where water is getting into my basement-p6090566.jpg   still cant find where water is getting into my basement-p6100570.jpg   still cant find where water is getting into my basement-p6100569.jpg   still cant find where water is getting into my basement-p6090568.jpg  

flashme18 is offline   Reply With Quote