Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:09 AM   #1
DIY Homeowner

Share |
Question

Steep gravel driveway - washed stone?

I currently have a gravel driveway that was constructed 15 years ago with crusher-run material, which is simply the mix of stone, sand and dust that comes out of the crusher. A part of the driveway is very steep, I'd guess it to be about a 30% slope. I would like to dress the entire drive with a top coat of washed 1/2" stone, but someone told me this would cause wheel spin. My 4WD Subaru has no troubles at all with this driveway, but my RWD Toyota pickup can barely make it up without spinning when there's nothing in the bed.

Seems to me that a thin layer of stone would be OK. Maybe a larger grade of stone would be better. Anyone out there have experience with steep gravel drives?

BRO931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
STAFF

I would be concerned with gravel that size washing. If it were mine I would go with crushed limestone as it will set up like concrete but there is no guarantee that even that won't wash.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #3

I had a gravel drive of around a 12% slope. ( divide rise by run )

Fierce storms would wash wicked ruts, paving solved the problem.

Last edited by High Gear; 09-22-2010 at 10:15 PM.
High Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:24 PM   #4
Master General ReEngineer

Quote:
I would like to dress the entire drive with a top coat of washed 1/2" stone, but someone told me this would cause wheel spin.
Ayuh,... 1/2" stone with no fines will be like drivin' on Marbles....
Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

You need angular aggregate and some fines to hold everything together. Otherwise it will be like driving on bbbs and rock will roll down your steep slope. You probably don't have a 30 degree slope because most people radically over estimate the degree of slope, but whatever it is you are using the wrong surface material. Even though your subaru makes it up fine, each time some aggregate is moved downhill.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
DIY Homeowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
You need angular aggregate and some fines to hold everything together. Otherwise it will be like driving on bbbs and rock will roll down your steep slope. You probably don't have a 30 degree slope because most people radically over estimate the degree of slope, but whatever it is you are using the wrong surface material. Even though your subaru makes it up fine, each time some aggregate is moved downhill.

Dick
Thanks for the info Dick (a.k.a. concretemasonry). The crusher-run I have now seems to be the mix of angular aggregate with fines that you suggest. But then you say that, whatever the slope is, I'm using the wrong surface material. Let me take a wild guess at what the right material might be. Could it be............... concrete?

I would consider pouring concrete if it were not for the fact that heavy equipment and 4" concrete slabs don't get along well. I'm still working on refurbishing this place and will likely have heavy material deliveries. I can't see pouring 8-12" highway-grade slabs. Maybe some sort of concrete blocks and gravel might work. The problem with this crusher run is the fines are washing down the hill.

BTW, the drive rises 40' over its entire 200' length, but one 30' section does rise about 10' (33%?). Would a 6/12 pitch roof have a 50% slope, or would that be 44.7% (6' / 13.4' rafter length)?

BRO931 is offline   Reply With Quote