Steel Vs Wood Garage Doors - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

steel vs wood garage doors

I have a steel garage door in which the paint got ruined during a remodel because the contractors used masking tape to cover it with ramboard to protect it. Removing the masking tape is taking the paint off with it.

To repaint the garage I'll probably have to strip the entire door to make it look good which seems like a lot of work.

Someone is offering to give me a wood paneled garage door in great shape. I still would have to paint it but it appears to be a lot less prep

of course the con is replaceing a working garage door with another used one (although this is in a bit better condition).

Advertisement

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Having replaced two garage doors on my own, I think it's safe to say that the effort involved in a swap will make prepping and painting the steel door the best use of your time. Steel doors also require far less maintenance in the long run. Besides, the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

On the other hand, I have to admit that I am a fan of wood doors despite the extra work they require to maintain. They're very easy to repair and are quieter. I'm not sure I'd swap a functioning steel door for one, though.

Does the wood door include all of the hardware such as the tracks, springs, etc? I wouldn't try a swap unless every bolt and part was present and accounted for. Rollers seem to be pretty universal, but I've seen variances in other places like springs, lock/latch hardware, etc.

Advertisement

KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #3
dIYHell

Yeah the guy that has the door is very meticulous and appears to have all the parts and the tracks appear to be stronger than mine. Although I was hoping to keep my spring in place and just swap the door and tracks out.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 500

The spring for your metal door may not be strong enough to lift the wood door. Something to check into.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #5

I would swap the entire mess if I really wanted the wood door. Steel doors weigh no where near as much as their wood counterparts, and all the corresponding hardware seems to be built heavier to accommodate the increased weight.

Ditto on the springs. For sure, you need the ones matched to the wood door.

As for the rest, I'd swap out all of the hardware, tracks included. The tracks I see on modern steel doors are just flimsy compared to the tracks I've seen on wood doors. (Granted, all of the wood doors have been old, so that probably plays in to the sturdiness of the hardware.) Regardless, I'd worry that the tracks from the light steel door might not hold up over time with a wood door hanging from them. Take this with a grain of salt if you wish; I am notorious for overkill, so I always prefer the sturdiest option.

Where's a garage door pro to bounce questions off of when you need one?
KAdams4458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #6
dIYHell

great advice, I figured I'd have to swap out the whole kit and cabudle and knowing my luck my Garage Door opener wouldn't be strong enough. Im slammed with a bunch other projects and I think this would be opening a can of worms and cost more than I want. I think I'll just go with trying to refinish the metal door. Maybe one day I can find a cheap used Stain Grade door that would be worth the hassle to install
Old 09-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #7

Buy a electric sander and re-paint your old door. It is a PIA to have to remove the old door and mount the newer door. Also, those springs are nothing to play with. If handled improperly, they can kill !!
log_doc_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:59 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,064

Steel doors are insulated, wood are not. Steel are way lighter than wood, so they take less springs. The opener is minimum or maximum horsepower, (a selling point) nothing to do with the weight:
"First, most of our Genie garage door openers will work on all sectional and one-piece tilt-up garage doors up to 7' 6'' high. If your sectional type door is 8' high, extension kits are available for both chain and screw drive units. For doors up to 12' high, please use the locator to find an authorized Genie representative to help you find a solution.
Second, all Genie openers will work on single or double wide doors. Door must be in proper balance.
Third, many Genie openers have strong 1/2 horsepower motors with power to lift the largest residential door... steel, fiberglass, wood or vinyl!"

== But you can buy stronger motors so it doesn't work as hard when the springs weaken and you don't adjust them for such. It will last longer for that reason. Use a different type of drive for quietness required. Wood doors, especially the recessed panel ones, will get wet and rot or grow mold quite easily. This is due to there poor design not letting water out at the bottom of the panels. If you changeover, don't forget to change the trim stop (at outside gap, wood with wood doors) if going from wood to metal (needs rubber). If using the old wood door with coiled springs, use the safety cables (at the box stores) as an older one may not have them inside the springs. AS suggested, do not install a torsion bar spring (wind by hand) yourself, although the newer ones use an electric or battery drill motor.

Be safe, Gary

Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 268

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdoctor View Post
...and the tracks appear to be stronger than mine.
They have to be... that wood door weighs many times what your metal one weighs. I'll bet your current track is as strong as it needs to be. If it's just a paint problem, keep the current door.

Unless... do you have kids? Do they want to kick/hit/throw things at the door? Wood doors take a beating and keep looking good (with maintenance) where metal doors can dent.
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
dIYHell

I do have kids but they don't play in front of the garage and I don't think I'll ever put a basketball hoop there. Great advice from everyone very helpful. Still debating of taking the wood garage door for parts, my wheels are going off alightment. was thinking maybe I could change out tracks (if I don't have to touch the spring which the mechanism appears to be bolted to the tracks)
Old 09-17-2009, 06:35 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

I installed a Temp steel garage door, free off craigslist
Also installed a Temp wood door w/glass - but does not open
I installed it without ever having installed a garage door before
Basically the front track along the opening goes on, then each panel is slipped on
As each panel goes on you bolt then together
Then the rest of the track goes on
Roll the door up & SUPPORT it so it CAN"T slide back down
Then the springs are attached & adjusted

That said, when we buy garage doors I think it will include installation

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote