Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2011, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

steel support beam

I am looking to remove a support wall in my basement and replace it with a steel beam. I want to carry 24 ft and my house (bungalow) is 26 ft wide, 13 ft on each side of the wall, i was wondering if you could tell what size beam i would need to use

sean franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
Experienced

steel support beam

Hello and welcome Sean, to the best darn DIY'r site on the web.

I might as well be the first to say it, in order to achieve what you are asking you need to get an engineer involved to size the beam and design the footing for the support posts.

Any information that you might receive here will not be qualified for construction.

Mark

Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #3

steel support beam

JackofAll is right. Consult a structural engineer. I had a beam sized for a garage (24' ironically) and they charged me $500. There are alot of variables involved and some of which you haven't mentioned. Like is the supporting wall supporting a wall directly above? Does that wall run up the the ridge?

If the beam is going in the basement, a 24' span will most likely yield the need for a pretty thick beam and then you run into clearance issues. Adding a center support drastically reduces the beam size. Good luck.
DesDevInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #4

steel support beam

Before you spend the bucks on an engineer, might wanna give some thought about just how you'll get that steel beam downstairs.
The support wall there now, is it wood? Electric or plumbing running through it?
Don't forget about the temp. wall you'll need.
Tizzer is offline   Reply With Quote