Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

steel & structure

What's the Maximum length of RC pre-tensioning Beam and RC post-tensioning beam? under bricks load, wood or LVL load

What the maximum length of Steel Beam ?

feras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,022

steel & structure

Welcome to the Forum!

no way to answer given the limited amount of information provided. for example is the brick wall brick veneer, solid brick, 4-feet high or 100-feet high? general questions such as this lead to vague responses.

if you have a more direct question concerning a project then provide that information.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
user1007 (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #3

steel & structure

I'm not really sure about what kind of information I should provide, but about the bricks ( solid brick with 3.6 meter high )
Old 04-06-2013, 05:01 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

steel & structure

You mentioned brick, wood ... What are you spanning or trying to hold up? Who told you you needed steel? Why not call the engineer or architect that told you so? Just my opinion but picking steel is not a DIY project. You will need signoffs anyhow.

How long can a steel beam be and work? Some say Mies van der Rohe stretched the limits in this building near me. It is home to the school of architecture he rebuilt. Some say it should never have recently been renovated for $$$$ and simply rinsed away into Lake Michigan.

His grandson, among many others took steel to great places though. Dirk Lohan's addition to the Shedd Aquarium is pure magic. You look out over the marine mammal exhibit holding tons of water and wildlife and your view extends all the way over the surface of Lake Michigan.

Last edited by user1007; 04-06-2013 at 05:16 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
GBrackins (04-06-2013), jagans (04-06-2013)
Old 04-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

steel & structure

What steel beam? You need the load you intend to carry, whether the load is equally distributed along the beam, whether the ends are restrained, the KSI of the steel of the beam, etc etc. Basically, you need a structural engineer.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #6

steel & structure

what is it you are trying to do, what is your project? are you trying to place an opening in a wall and determine the header needed to support the material above the header?

Old 04-06-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

steel & structure

it's 4 stories private housing , at the first floor there is somewhere should be parking area is 16 X 18 meter where 1 side is needed to be with totally opening with no walls or columns along the whole length of 16 meter where the view of the of the cars will be shown for the people outside the building, so I'm required to place a RC span with 16 meter length and carrying a solid concrete bricks load, wt else information i need to provide ?
Old 04-06-2013, 05:56 PM   #8

steel & structure

ok so this isn't putting a 1 meter wide window in your home's exterior wall .....

This project is of a commercial nature and as such I am almost certain it would require submittal of construction drawings and specifications prepared by a structural engineer. it would be up to the engineer to determine by what means to provide for this opening.

an internet forum is not the place I would go to seek structural design guidance. you do not know the knowledge and experience of those that would give you the size of beam to use. Maybe they are right, greater chances they ARE WRONG. who would you blame if there is damage to the building?

do yourself a favor and hire a professional engineer. they will prepare you drawings and specifications so that it is done right to begin with. Pricing for the construction would be based upon the engineer's design not a ball-park guesstimate ....

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,136

steel & structure

Seriously, you are anticipating design of a major structural element by an Internet Chat Room? So what possible use would you make of an answer you actually got on this forum? I hope you wouldn't build from a recommendation you got free in a chat room. The fact that you are even asking a question about such a complex topic raises major alarm bells.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:19 PM   #10

steel & structure

Daniel Holzman, the answer I actually got on this forum, its a suggestion to look for an real answer, you don't know any suggestions , doesn't mean I don't know how to ask, or any idea about the answer
Old 04-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

steel & structure

So you get that you need someone professional to help you with this right? You do realize some of us do care and were only trying to help. What you have in mind is just not a DIY project.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote