Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2010, 09:14 PM   #1

Share |

Steel post in concrete

Hi I am building a pergola in south Florida. I have an existing patio slab. I have two questions, I am planning on using 3x3 galvanized steel posts 3/16 thickness.
I would like to know what the gurus think.

1. Should I bolt the columns to the slab using 4 anchors per post. Or should I cut footings in the concrete slab, and dig a 40 inch footing, and place the post in the concrete.

I am leaning towards cutting the concrete and placing the footer into the concrete. Should I worry about the posts rusting at the base. Should I seal the top of the tube, to prevent water from gathering in the tube. What should I know about before embarking down this road. Thanks in advance.

Alex

alexj212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:04 AM   #2

Steel post in concrete

With the prospect of hurricanes and that pergola becoming airborne, I would set the posts in concrete. And use tie brackets on everything, which is also tied to the posts.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #3

Steel post in concrete

Thanks - thats what I figured, Now with the galvanized steel posts, the tube is hollow, Do I need to cap the end sticking out of the ground, so that moisture does not enter the tube. When sticking the posts in the concrete, once I have the concrete in the footing, Will I just be pushing the tube into the concrete or have the post in the concrete and pour around it. If I pour around the post wont the center of the post be empty? Thanks

Alex
alexj212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:17 AM   #4

Steel post in concrete

Maybe you should think about using aluminum posts. I live in South Florida s well, and I have steel columns supporting my patio. They are rusted and are in need of replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Steel post in concrete-dscn1234.jpg  
mauricior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:19 PM   #5

Steel post in concrete

Years ago, I worked in a machine shop who's primary customer was a company who made metal awnings and whatnot. Primarily everything was aluminum, but I remember distinctly that they took a 2 way approach to metal posts: They were capped at the top to stop the water getting in, and drilled at the bottom to let the water out. No matter what you do, sooner or later water will probably find a way into the post, and its best if it has a way out.
biggidybankston is offline   Reply With Quote