Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #1

Share |

Steel I BEAM size

I need advice /help

I have a 2 story house with a full attic that you can stand up in the middle parts of.

In my basement I have 2 poles that are supporting a wooden beam going across a length of approx 22 feet. I want to remove one of the poles to open up my basement. I had a iron work company come in and said it was no problem to remove 1 if not both poles. He said that he would use 24lb (something like that) weight if I wanted to remove both poles. One end would be supported by the foundation of the house and the other by a third pole which is next to a chimney.
Another company said I could do one but they never mentioned about getting rid of both.

Does this sounds correct? What type of questions should i ask the guy about the size and strength of the I Beam. He seems very confident that I could get rid of both but I dont want to say yes if it doesnt seem correct.

whatsupteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Steel I BEAM size

You need the advice from a local engineer, not from another part of the world.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (04-09-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 10:51 PM   #3

Steel I BEAM size

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
You need the advice from a local engineer, not from another part of the world.
Absolutely. No vendor of any material should ever tell you what is an acceptable structural change--especially something as critical as changes to beam supports--unless that person is a licensed engineer. In fact, to be honest, I'd avoid using any of the guys that gave you advice. They should have told you what we 're telling you: hire an engineer.
cortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

Steel I BEAM size

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupteach
I need advice /help

I have a 2 story house with a full attic that you can stand up in the middle parts of.

In my basement I have 2 poles that are supporting a wooden beam going across a length of approx 22 feet. I want to remove one of the poles to open up my basement. I had a iron work company come in and said it was no problem to remove 1 if not both poles. He said that he would use 24lb (something like that) weight if I wanted to remove both poles. One end would be supported by the foundation of the house and the other by a third pole which is next to a chimney.
Another company said I could do one but they never mentioned about getting rid of both.

Does this sounds correct? What type of questions should i ask the guy about the size and strength of the I Beam. He seems very confident that I could get rid of both but I dont want to say yes if it doesnt seem correct.
You need an architect or engineer to tell you what size beam you need to remove either one or both colums. You also need permits and inspections. Planning on getting them?
PaliBob (04-08-2012)
Old 04-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
General Contractor

Steel I BEAM size

If the iron work company didn't mention permits or engineering, then don't call them back, they are incompetent. Find another contractor to come and look at it.
KennMacMoragh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KennMacMoragh For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (04-08-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Steel I BEAM size

forget the beam, thats the easy part, the footing under that 3rd pole (and the 3rd pole itself) will have a 50% increase in load (going from 33/33/33 to 50/50)...
i would be concerned about that.....thats the hard, backbreaking work.
jcrack_corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Framing Contractor

Steel I BEAM size

The place where we get our steel can do the engineering there. Often while you wait on something fairly simple. Not sure that is the type of service he is getting though. I agree with the footing issue. I can almost guarantee whatever footings are there now will not carry additional load.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Steel I BEAM size

My advice is the same as previous posters: You NEED to get that information from an engineer, an engineering firm, or a supplier that will also provide the engineering calculations and certification (this will be required by all city/town/regional Building Departments, issuing project building permits).
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
JOATMON

Steel I BEAM size

Yea......you need input from a 'qualified' engineer and/or architect.....

To give you an idea of the extent of the task....click on the 2-story addition link in my signature....I'm using a steel beam....6"x10"...around 14' long....3/8" steel....and it's only supporting part of my second story floor....not 2 floors.....

Yea....you need engineering....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #10

Steel I BEAM size

My house was built with a 6"-wide steel I-Beam in my basement for the main support and I still have one vertical support pole.

The beam is a little over 30' long and supports 2 floors and a full size attic.

x2 on the engineer.

Last edited by adgjqetuo; 04-16-2012 at 12:44 PM.
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #11

Steel I BEAM size

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsupteach View Post
I need advice /help
What type of questions should i ask the guy about the size and strength of the I Beam. He seems very confident that I could get rid of both but I dont want to say yes if it doesnt seem correct.
The type of question you should ask is, "Do you have current liability insurance?"
hammerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
Civil Engineer

Steel I BEAM size

You can always get rid of posts, it is a matter of how to design the support system to function correctly without the posts. Usually this type of design is done by a licensed structural engineer, as has been noted by everyone else on this thread. If the contractor is also a licensed engineer, no problem, they can handle the entire process. As discussed, make sure they carry professional liability insurance, general liability insurance, and plan to pull the appropriate permits.

In terms of discussing their plan, you should verify that they have done this sort of work before (call their references), and make sure they will furnish a set of drawings and computations to you for your review BEFORE they begin the work.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote