Steel Door: Re: Concreted Frame / Door Adjustment - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steel Door: re: concreted frame / door adjustment

Greetings: Own a small one room fishing cabin / block and have put in a concrete-to-steel frame .... wow, what a process. Well, the big day came to install the door ... that's about how I looked !!

Good news .... bad news. Well it closes and it does lock and luckily it's winter but come summer, I'm in trouble:

Looking at door from outside, hinged on the right, opens towards me from the left. The lower hinged side on the right is tight (seems fine). The higher hinge right side is a bit out. The [problem] is the left upper side - it's tight w/ the steel frame. The lower left corner is a bit dropped.

Haven't taken off the door to inspect upper right hinge but am I going to be able to get it to close tighter. I attached door from the bottom up.

Can I get the hinge in the upper right, the furtherest to the right, the one against the frame to go more to the right? Door needs to turn a bit clock-wise. This is just one of those things I think about now - 24 - 7. Have been working on this door for two or three months - was so dissappointed when I finally put it in. Like I said, it does close and locks but upper left side is scraping just a bit -- door appears to measure ok. Cross brace steel frame (upper or middle) did bevel up on left side just a hair. I had to lower level on left side just a hair for perfection but everythng else was on.

Advertisement

Smokey888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

Ayuh,... Datto the upper hinge pocket Deeper into the door...

Advertisement

Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

What you do depends on the reveals you have on the top and hinge side. First the frame needs to be plumb, level and square.

What are the reveals now?
Hinge side. Are the reveals the same top to bottom? If the frame is set correctly, the top reveal on the hinge side should be wider then the bottom.
Top. The reveal should be more on the latch side then the hinge side.
If both these are true, you can daddo the frame or door(or both) a bit more to pull the door away from the frame and stop the rubbing.
If you set the hinge too deep in the mortised pocket, it will hit the hinge side frame before it closes and cause a pulling effect on the screws that will eventually strip them out of the wood.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concreted door , steel door