Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #1
MMW

Rewards Points: 10

A steel building that doesn't look like a steel building?

I'm looking to add a detached garage to my back lot but need something that doesn't *look* like a steel building since I'm in town. What to do? Can the wall girts be spaced every 2 ft vertically (run horizontal), sheathed w/ OSB and covered in siding like a more traditional building? Same with the roof? I'd like to go shingles and siding to avoid that 'barn' look (not that there's anything wrong w/ that in the country, but again, I'm in town and the neighbors might complain)

Or just bite the bullet and go stick framing? I'd rather stick to the steel building if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
-MMW

MMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

A steel building that doesn't look like a steel building?

Sure you can do it that way. But a word of advice. If you plan on insulating or sheet rocking you might as well stick frame. By the time you fur out inside you will not save any $ over just stick framing. My neighbor did what you are talking about and he also had to do 2 foot overhangs (a covenant requirement). It looks great but now he wants to insulate it then eventually Sheetrock it and it is going to be a pain and time consuming to fur it out (not to mention $). Personnaly I would bite that bullet but I am not sure of your needs and wants.

warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote