Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Share |

steel beam span

i am finishing my basment i have a 8 inch x 4 inchx three eight thick I beam that runs the with of the basment that sit on concrete wall and hase a wall that runs under it i want to remove a post and will span about 12 ft between the wall an concrete wall do i still need to support this beam between walls?

mike t1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

steel beam span

If there is a post under the beam and you move it, that is wrong.

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

steel beam span

It's not easy to understand what's going on from your description. It might be possible to remove the post, but it would depend on factors such as the span of the beam, the support conditions, and the loads it is carrying from above.
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Framing Contractor

steel beam span

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike t1958
i am finishing my basment i have a 8 inch x 4 inchx three eight thick I beam that runs the with of the basment that sit on concrete wall and hase a wall that runs under it i want to remove a post and will span about 12 ft between the wall an concrete wall do i still need to support this beam between walls?
Noone can answer such a question like that especially here on a Diy'er forum. You need to have an architect or engineer come and look. The post is there for a reason. Can it be moved...maybe...maybe not. It has to be looked at.
AtlanticWBConst. (10-21-2012), GBrackins (10-21-2012)
Old 10-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #5

steel beam span

evaluation of structural loads is not a simple endeavor to be performed on a DIY forum. the International Residential Code the basis for most state/local building codes does not contain prescriptive span tables for steel beams. this means any work to be performed using steel beams must be evaluated by a professional engineer or registered architect.

It does not matter if you don't have a building code, don't need a permit or plan on doing this "under the cover of darkness" the physics of building construction remains the same.

I would strongly advise you to hire a local professional engineer that specializes in residential construction to evaluate your existing conditions and what you are attempting to accomplish. They can determine if it can be done, and if so how to accomplish it.

If you post long enough or on enough sites I'm sure you'll finally find someone that will agree with you. With you not knowing their knowledge or level of experience you have to ask yourself one question, "WOULD YOU TAKE THEIR ADVISE?"

After all you're the one that will have to live with the results .....

Good luck!

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (10-21-2012)