Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #1

Share |

Starting an addition project: footer/ledger questions

I am starting to plan out an addition project, with a goal of adding on a 2-car garage to an old farm house.. The issue/question is that I want to add on some square footage (A MBR and MBATH). I have materials too that I want to use: a load of 16' long I joists for the addition floor system.

MY THOUGHTS:
-I have a sidewalk on the northside of the house where I want to build the addition. I do NOT want to bust this sidewalk up since it is against the current block foundation of the house and do not want to disturb the current foundation.
-I will continue the foundation on the east/west sides extending them north for the addition area (will use block) and will then connect to the ground level garage foundation/footer work.

HAS ANYONE ever done a Room-addition with a bolt on ledger board attached to an existing foundation? I build the new foundation to be standard and have those joists resting on top of a block wall.

YOUR THOUGHTS?

bnentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:09 PM   #2

Post a plan of what you're try to do. If I understand it, you're going to attach a new foundation to the existing house. You have to dig down below the frost line and tie in both the footing and the new foundation to the existing one.
So how are you going to leave the sidewalk intact if you have to dig under it?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:54 AM   #3

I will post the print here soon; but in the meantime; I am aware of the frostline for new walls (3 of the sides of the new addition). However, the existing/connecting/shared wall --I am asking if I can connect the joists to a ledger board as you would a deck. Currently, it is a exterior sided wall, with a 10" block foundation below it (fairly modern).

I suppose that it seems odd that every single new addition would have a double foundation on shared walls..and that this could be a sufficient solution. Secondly, It would allow me to match floor height for flooring transitions better.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnentrup View Post
I will post the print here soon; but in the meantime; I am aware of the frostline for new walls (3 of the sides of the new addition). However, the existing/connecting/shared wall --I am asking if I can connect the joists to a ledger board as you would a deck. Currently, it is a exterior sided wall, with a 10" block foundation below it (fairly modern).

I suppose that it seems odd that every single new addition would have a double foundation on shared walls..and that this could be a sufficient solution. Secondly, It would allow me to match floor height for flooring transitions better.
The floor joists would run parallel to the old foundation, not perpendicular.
I don't know what you mean by a double foundation. You only pour three walls on the addition you're doing, not 4.
Matching the floor height needs to be considered before you even dig the hole. You need to open both sides of the house where the framing is and see where the top of the subfloor is. That's the object point you need to aim for. Since framing material dimensions might have changed since the house was built, you have to measure down from the top of the subfloor to the footing depth, taking into account the framing material dimensions you'll be using. If the wood is green, you need to compensate for that too, as it will shrink as it dries.
If you wanted to run the joists perpendicular, you would double up the rim joist and install joist hangers on that.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 04-04-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:49 PM   #5

Thanks for the response: The issue would be the span on the new addition.. I it will be somewhere around 30' -- I can span 16' with my I-joists, and therefore would need a beam or other support in center.. that beam would run perpendicular, therefore, what methods of attaching the beam to existing foundation would there be?

I suppose in one area/a built up column or foundation pier could support a metal support beam or LVL for the floor.. I am only having a floor on about 16' wide- therefore, would just need a 16' beam (could build 3 piers to support the beam on 8' spans between beam supports).

That stated, the beam footer could be a pad of about 2'x2' and simply 2'+ deep to the frost line and block until final height.

I am just trying to get all information set in mind before talking to the building inspector.. it seems to always work better to have a solid plan before taking the next step.

post....

Thanks for the insight!

Last edited by bnentrup; 04-04-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #6

It would help if you would have detailed all the info in the initial post. Or supplied a drawing of the proposed job.
Your architect should be supplying you all this information. You can't be relying on internet clowns for this.
Ron
Old 04-04-2011, 04:24 PM   #7

Your floor joists will only come out 1/2 the extension. The garage pad will be slab on grade.
Ron
Old 04-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #8

Yes, I am aware of the garage being slab on grade. The addition for 'room' area will be 16x30 approximately..thus the desire to not do a girder across the 30' span and just secure a header to the existing wall/foundation.

thanks for trying Ron... i will move on.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

A few thoughts:

- You're going to disturb at least some of the sidewalk due to overdig.

- You can most likely ledger into the existing structure w/o much problem. It becomes even more straight forward if the existing house has a decent rim board in place.

- Is the area under the new master & bath going to have a crawlspace?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 AM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

It sounds like what you want to do is feasible, just not enough details to know for sure. More than likely if you just demo the sidewalk you will not be disturbing the existing foundation in any significant way.

Andy.
AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:49 AM   #11

thanks guys: I appreciate the response: I just know that over the years as an outdoor construction contractor that I have had so many sidewalk removal sessions that turned bad: such as the last guys using the sidewalk as a washout for remaining concrete in the mixer and a simple 4" sidewalk turns into 14" thick-- others making sure that the sidewalks stay level and rebar it to the foundation -etc etc.. and I just don't want a simple 1-day excavation to turn into a nightmare. It is probably inevitable and I just need to go ahead and do it...

thanks for the input
Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Where are you located anyway? It seems your best bet is a drop beam and condition the crawl space.

Andy.

AndyGump is offline   Reply With Quote