Started Exposed Brick Wall, Studs Within Brick, Should I Stop? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Started Exposed Brick Wall, Studs within brick, should I stop?

I recently purchased an old, brick duplex, built in the 1920's in St. Louis. The upstairs bedroom has a nice exposed brick wall, on the side of the building.

I'd like to do the same to the lower bedroom, but to the wall that faces the rear of the building. I can tell there has been some water damage to the plaster on that wall, and it looks ugly ... which is another reason I'd like to remove it and expose the brick (besides that I like the look). I purchased it after a rehab. It has been tuckpointed and I believe the water issue has been corrected.

I started creating some test holes and found brick directly behind the plaster as expected. I started getting more confident and made a bigger hole. After creating a hole about 4 inches wide, I saw a stud within the brick. Once I broke the surface of the plaster, the plaster behind it came out almost like sand. The stud felt a little soft and moist to the touch.

I was not expecting to find a stud placed within the bricks. Should I expect to find more studs within the brick? The one I found appears to be in a vertical line with the window edge.

I'm concerned that studs within the brick will look unattractive if I expose the wall, and I'll be sorry if I continue the project. I also noticed that the brick on the right side of the stud does not appear to be completely flush with the brick on the left of the stud. I'm also concerned that the stud feels soft and moist.

Should I continue removing plaster to expose the brick or is it too much of a risk? What's the worst that could happen?

I'd appreciate your thoughts very much!
Attached Thumbnails
Started Exposed Brick Wall, Studs within brick, should I stop?-img_0144.jpg   Started Exposed Brick Wall, Studs within brick, should I stop?-img_0233.jpg   Started Exposed Brick Wall, Studs within brick, should I stop?-img_0236.jpg  

Advertisement

perry167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 540

The worst that could happen is to repair what you removed.

Advertisement

epson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,022

How is no insulation needed on outside walls in a bedroom in St. Louis?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Welcome to the 1920's when oil and coal were going to last forever!

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,022

"Welcome to the 1920's when oil and coal were going to last forever!"

That part I get; what I don't understand is why you would want that in 2011?
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brick wall , remodeling