Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:36 AM   #1

Share |

Standing water where driveway meets the street

Where my driveway meets the street is the low point of the block. Water pools there and I have had to erect a "bridge" to cross it during the winter. It is 30 feet long and after a rain is about 4 feet wide. In the summer, if someone washes their car up-street from me, it also pools with water. Cost prohibits me from having the whole section torn up and re-poured and may not totally solve the problem as tree roots have raised the down-street run-off.

So the part I am trying to deal with is the driveway side which collects the most water. I would like to add some sort of "hump" like a speed-bump, the length of the 30 feet, so that the water stays on the street side which never gets wider than a foot before it reaches the height it needs to be to run-off. It is not a perfect solution but would be much better.

I have looked into actual rubber speed bumps but these are also costly. I have considered putting down a row of brick and smoothing out either side of the brick with mortar so we can drive over it.

Any ideas out there?
Alexi637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #2

Post a picture of the issue. Solutions would be based on your specific situation which cannot be determined by a mere discription.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:15 AM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Is your driveway presently Paved,..?? With What,..?? Blacktop,..??

Overlaying the driveway with blacktop would be the Best way to fix it....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #4

Here are a couple of pictures. THe entire length of the driveway is 30 feet. The water is low as it hasn't rained for a few days. My goal is to keep the water and mud in the street and not creeping up my driveway.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Household Handyman

IMO--First, you should check to find the actual property line(s). Easements for municipal utilities may be further back into your property than you realize. The area where the water is collecting may belong to the local municipality you live in, and it would be their responsibility to do something about drainage--yeh right. I've seen situations where the homeowner was fined, and the repairs done by the homeowner torn out, when municipal lines were crossed. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 12:20 PM   #6

I think you are correct in that this belongs to the city. And unfortunately our sidewalks are our responsibility to repair, to code, which will be too expensive and as I said probably not work because of the tree roots raising the down-street flow. I guess I could erect a wooden bridge that can be driven over. I mean it is really a problem. Thanks for the input.