Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Standby Generators

How can I buy or build inexpensively to lower the sound of my whole hoiuse gas generator. I live with a neighbor who after 2 years discovered we had a generator and complained of the test noise. We are rather old and need our genrator. Please helpo

E Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Standby Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Williams View Post
How can I buy or build inexpensively to lower the sound of my whole hoiuse gas generator. I live with a neighbor who after 2 years discovered we had a generator and complained of the test noise. We are rather old and need our genrator. Please helpo
We keep two long extension cords on-hand to offer power to next door neighbors should power go out. That goes a long way toward keeping down noise complaints.

Here's a suggestion, change the day/time when the generator does it's testing. Pick a time when you know the neighbor is unlikely to be around.

There aren't a lot of options for reducing the noise of a generator, otherwise the manufacturers would gladly sell it.

What day and time is it running now?

wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
E Williams (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 676

Standby Generators

If your neighbors complain about the 10 minute per week test cycle, they need to get a life! Assuming it's happening at a time they are not sleeping it shouldn't be an issue for anyone unless they just need something to complain about. The biggest problem is anything that further reduced the sound of the generator running would reduce heat dissipation and thus significantly reduce the life of the generator, especially when it's required to run for a long period of time.
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Msradell For This Useful Post:
E Williams (05-29-2013), gregzoll (05-29-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264

Standby Generators

You could plant some thick shrubbery between the generator and the neighbors house to muffle the sound a bit. Or you could check with the generator manufacturer and see if they offer an optional, quieter muffler system. Other than changing the times of the test runs, you may want to check with your local permit office to see if you are violating any local ordinances with the generator noise. If not, the neighbor has no recourse and needs to be told to mind his own business.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Sal For This Useful Post:
E Williams (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 07:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,136

Standby Generators

How often does the generator test run? Most are usually once a month or so. If your neighbor is complaining about that, he needs to get a life.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
E Williams (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Standby Generators

Thanks for your suggestions. Have changed from 8pm, to mid afternoon when she is I hope, at work. She is one of those impossible people who
seems to lay in wait for something to complain about. We had this generator for 2 years and she just noticed we had it. Our bad. We do offer our power to our neighbors. We are old and need to keep our house on power for Husband. We have big old trees and power overhead pretty, but they come down often. Other neighbors are great, thank goodness. EAW
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Bill Kearney

Standby Generators

Our generator runs it's test cycle once a week. I've got it set to run at 2pm on Tuesday. My next door neighbor also configured his to run at the same time.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
Bill Kearney

Standby Generators

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. Have changed from 8pm, to mid afternoon when she is I hope, at work. She is one of those impossible people who
seems to lay in wait for something to complain about. We had this generator for 2 years and she just noticed we had it. Our bad. We do offer our power to our neighbors. We are old and need to keep our house on power for Husband. We have big old trees and power overhead pretty, but they come down often. Other neighbors are great, thank goodness. EAW
8pm? I could see where that could annoy folks, even ones not being petty about it. Good to hear you were able to change it to mid-afternoon.

Don't let one neighbor's issues get you down. You certainly don't need to explain or justify having the generator, to that neighbor or anyone else. It's your choice and it's perfectly legal for you to use it and have it run it's tests.
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #9

Standby Generators

Thanks to all. We live in a tight neighborhood, Alexandria VA. This person is the bain of the neighborhood, most of us just get along with life. It must be horrid to live to find fault and having to be right. I did not think it an offense to send a Police Officer to our door.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Standby Generators

There are three sides to every story, and there is walk a mile in my moccasins. Lets look at it from the third side:

"I walk into my house with a screaming headache after fighting a horrid traffic jam, I pour myself a drink and sit back in my lazy boy, and wham! The old coots next door start up their freakin Loudass generator. Now why in hell coudn't they have done that while I was at work. They sit there all day long and they have to run it now????
If they cant figure out the fact that they are disturbing the entire neighborhood at prime time, what good would my telling them about it do? Im calling the noise police"

See? 8PM was rude . Glad you woke up. Too bad it took pissing someone off to do it.

As my mom always said "It all depends on whose OX is being gored"

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 06:02 PM   #11

Standby Generators

I said that we had the generator for 2 1/2 years. We live with awful polution from big hyways and everyone keeps therir windows closed. Okay never thought 8pm was bad, since she cuts her grass about that time in hot weather, I do not complain. Her dog get through fences and go on my lawn, I do not complain, she and her child have knock down drag out fights, verbal, outside, I do not complain, all these things occure for a short time and any normal person would understand that it is part of life. You cannot enjoy your yard with her, she is at everyone's neck. You sound rather like you have a problem with normal life yourself. I have walked in your shoes.
You should not assume your life is or was harder than anyone elses. Maybe soon you will have to walk in my shoes and see how you like it. I hope with a more pleasent attitude, I've learned being nice is a much better way in the long run. I did not relize I was bothering anyone and when I did then I corrected the problem. I doubt this will alter her attitude or this will alter yours. But Thanks for your input. EAW
The Following User Says Thank You to E Williams For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 06:09 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000

Standby Generators

Quote:
I said that we had the generator for 2 1/2 years. We live with awful polution from big hyways and everyone keeps therir windows closed. Okay never thought 8pm was bad, since she cuts her grass about that time in hot weather, I do not complain. Her dog get through fences and go on my lawn, I do not complain, she and her child have knock down drag out fights, verbal, outside, I do not complain, all these things occure for a short time and any normal person would understand that it is part of life. You cannot enjoy your yard with her, she is at everyone's neck. You sound rather like you have a problem with normal life yourself. I have walked in your shoes.
You should not assume your life is or was harder than anyone elses. Maybe soon you will have to walk in my shoes and see how you like it. I hope with a more pleasent attitude, I've learned being nice is a much better way in the long run. I did not relize I was bothering anyone and when I did then I corrected the problem. I doubt this will alter her attitude or this will alter yours. But Thanks for your input. EAW
I think you handled the situation very well. jagens is just being a pain.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #13
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,094

Standby Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code05 View Post
I think you handled the situation very well. jagens is just being a pain.
Not trying to be a pain, just looking at it from both sides of the fence. It does sound like she is a B**ch though. Simple enough to just talk to your neighbors. Does not make sense to have an adversarial relationship with people you might need some day. You never know whats bothering her though, some people have had a tough go of it.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
Bill Kearney

Standby Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
... I pour myself a drink and sit back in my lazy boy...
Yes, of course, the solution is to plop down on one's fat ass and get drunk. How dare anyone disrupt THAT?

Meanwhile it sounds like the generator owner's got the right attitude. Did what he could as soon as he realized the potential problem. We could all use more neighbors like that. Sorry to hear he's got some crazy lady next door but at least he's not being as ass about it. That's another lesson more people could stand to learn...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Standby Generators

Quote:
Tell the neighbor that if they do not like it, and hate not being without power, or being warm in the Winter, cool in the Summer, they are either welcome to come on over, or get their own.

Let me guess, they just moved in a little over two years ago, and are one of those kind of people, that everything is wrong, and that others should not have things that make noise like generators, dogs, kids.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote