Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is standard R12 fiberglass decent for soundproofing?

I'm looking to soundproof what will be my server room. For now I will do the existing wall, and ceiling. I already have some R12 insulation not being used. Is this decent at sound proofing, or is there better products out there I should look into?

I know for a proper sound proof I'd want to isolate the room from the structure and what not, but that's more involved, I just want something simple at least for now and if it's really not sufficient then I can always go big later.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

apparently fg insul is pretty good at deadening sound. adding another layer of sheet rock is also good; you need mass. also, seal up any electrical boxes that may let air waves through.

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:52 AM   #3
Wire Chewer

Good to know, as for sheet rock, do you mean like, add more sheetrock on the existing sheetrock? May as well do that too, not like it will cost much more.

I do know that when I go in the attic, I can hear stuff going on outside very clearly, but cannot hear anything in the house, so it does seem to work quite well. I'll also have to look into a sound proof door once I build the server room.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yes, another layer of sheet rock on top. The guys that do acoustical stuff say "mass, and more mass". You can also get sound deadening material instead of fiberglass, but I guess it is spendy. Rock wool insulation claims to be even quieter, and cellulose is better, too, esp if you dense pack it to 3-3.5 lbs/cf. I would guess that a good fire door would work for the opening. I was given one once, and never did install it because I was afraid I did not have enough framework to support it. That mutha was HEAVY; full of gypsum.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:49 AM   #5

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,060

Roxul is far better than fiberglass for soundproofing and it should be readily available there in Ontario, but not a big box store.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,020

Not an expert, but will share a couple of personal experiences. About 30 years ago, we built a second, "get-away" home, and because we went with a small footprint, I wanted to minimize sound transfer from one room to the next. At that time, I talked with my local lumber yards about soundproofing materials, to no avail, so I decided to insulate all of the interior walls with fiberglass, and although it may have helped some, the overall affect is negligible. Then, about 5 years ago, a new business moved into the multi-tenant building where my office is located, and the sound of some of the kids' music coming through an unused common steel door drove me crazy, so I went to my local lumber yard, and bought a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of a product by Georgia Pacific. All I did was stand it in front of the door, and it worked great. I just looked online, and it looks like they call this product Hushboard. So, in my unbiased opinion, fiberglass is not the answer, but I would recommend checking into Hushboard, or other products they may have.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Not an expert, but will share a couple of personal experiences. About 30 years ago, we built a second, "get-away" home, and because we went with a small footprint, I wanted to minimize sound transfer from one room to the next. At that time, I talked with my local lumber yards about soundproofing materials, to no avail, so I decided to insulate all of the interior walls with fiberglass, and although it may have helped some, the overall affect is negligible. Then, about 5 years ago, a new business moved into the multi-tenant building where my office is located, and the sound of some of the kids' music coming through an unused common steel door drove me crazy, so I went to my local lumber yard, and bought a 4'x8'x1/2" sheet of a product by Georgia Pacific. All I did was stand it in front of the door, and it worked great. I just looked online, and it looks like they call this product Hushboard. So, in my unbiased opinion, fiberglass is not the answer, but I would recommend checking into Hushboard, or other products they may have.
Never heard of Hushboard. I'll look out for that. I know you can buy sound deadening drywall that you could put over the existing. I agree that FG ins. is not worth the expense as far as sound deadening
mrgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #8

The only two sites on that topic from my library, lol; http://www.gp.com/BUILD/product.aspx?pid=1071

http://www.certainteed.com/resources...%20Control.pdf
Research it in the "Search" box above, I know we had a member ? White that is a pro sound controller...

Gary
Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Soundproofing Guy

Rewards Points: 150

Mass is what you want, as has already been mentioned.

IN a wall or IN a ceiling, you are not going to do better than cheap fiberglass. The NRC of Canada has done exhaustive tests. A bit oif the R12 you have is fine. Spending more or adding more won't result in added benefit. Insulation is providing some cavity absorption. It does a little, but not a lot.

Unfortunately people assume too much benefit from insulation. Mass provides greater benefit in most cases.
Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #10
Wire Chewer

I'll look into the Roxul then, as well as hushboard, see how that works out.

I guess a good test for me now would be to insulate the existing wall with fiberglass and see how much a difference it makes, as there is one server that is very loud. Though it does seem the drywall alone is better then the particle board that the door is made of, so guess it makes sense that it's really mass that does it. So if I built a brick wall around the whole area and added a cement ceiling it would probably be super quiet. And fireproof and theif proof to some extent. Almost tempting. :D
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Soundproofing Guy

You should look at the lab data before looking at mineral fiber and hushboard.

Anecdotal surveys like this are interesting, but objective lab data is there for a reason
Old 01-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #12

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,060

Red Squirrel -

I all depends on what you want at far as soundproofing and whether is is sound transmitted theough the framing/supports or just air audio sounds, acoustics - plus how much you want to spend. Anything is possible, but your desires will ultimately determine the methods and ultimately the cost.

Mass is always good, but you need the stability and strength to suppport it. If you are on an interior slab, an 8" concrete block with sand filled cores and a good filler and paint will minimize much of the transmission for the walls. This is a very common wall system for new construction because of the low construction cost. Sheet lead over studs is also commonly used by itself and also with additional resilient clips and two layers of drywall is possible.

The person with the checkbook determines how much to do and how critical the problem is. Just determine what you want to spend.

Dick
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #13
Soundproofing Guy

Not to many using lead anymore...
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
Mass is what you want, as has already been mentioned.

IN a wall or IN a ceiling, you are not going to do better than cheap fiberglass. The NRC of Canada has done exhaustive tests.
I was thinking that the report of theirs that I read said that fiberglass is hit or miss. Sometimes it reduces sound in some frequencies a hair, but other times it doesn't. Am I recalling incorrectly?

If it's just servers, then are they really so loud that a single layer of 5/8 drywall isn't going to stop the sound?

You need a sealed door too, and a solid one, not a hollow core. You have to seal the bottom too. And don't have any ductwork connecting two rooms you want to isolate. And put your electrical boxes (opposite sides of the wall) in different bays. And caulk everything.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
Soundproofing Guy

In a coupled wall or ceiling, insulation might add 1-3 points. In a decoupled wall it might add 2-5 points. It definately helps, however the cost relative to performance, especially in a coupled wall, may make this something to pass on.