Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2008, 02:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Stairwell. Right forum?

Hello, I'm new to any of this format, and I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction. I'm in need of some kind of formula to figure out the right configuration for a stairwell that will use as little of the upper floor sq. footage as possible.......and still get a queen box spring up to the bedroom. Am I even on the right forum?
I've looked all over the internet for a couple of months now, actually that's how I found this site, but have had no success; and my husband is breathing down my neck to make a decision about the walls - which will
all depend on the stairs, of course. I'm looking forward to any input any of you can offer. Thank you so much.

barbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #2

Stairwell. Right forum?

If you're concerned about the box springs not fitting, you could always use the spit type, the matress is squishy enough to crunch through just about any hole. Otherwise measure the foot print and go from there.

How 'bout making a cardboard template and see if it works for you....not sure anyone here can give you the specifics you're asking for. There are other measurements you must work with such as landing sizes, head clearance, step depth and height that most people have to worry about before building.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #3

Stairwell. Right forum?

do they make those for queen size too? that would make that part of any decision easier. still, i'd like to minimize the size of the opening on the upper floor - making it easier to rearrange the space into more rooms. i'm having to accomodate my 85yr old dad, my grandtots and a couple handicapable kids - yes, we're quite a family. they won't all be living with us all the time, but in this economy i'd like to plan for any contingency, if you know what i mean. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #4

Stairwell. Right forum?

If this is new construction, perhaps a window, large enough to allow the box spring to move through would be the best solution.
New double hung windows can be removed quite redily. Just remove them and slide the box spring through.
I've seen this done before. The movers parked their van outside the window, passed the spring to the roof of the van and then, on inside.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #5

Stairwell. Right forum?

Thanks Wildie, I only wish that were the case - it would be so much easier to know exactly what the construction looks like. Too bad this house is somewhere between 100 to 150 y.o. I suppose since I
have so much to take apart there I could always treat it as new construction - at least until I get the
box spring in. Good idea!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #6

Stairwell. Right forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbryan View Post
Hello, I'm new to any of this format, and I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction. I'm in need of some kind of formula to figure out the right configuration for a stairwell that will use as little of the upper floor sq. footage as possible.......and still get a queen box spring up to the bedroom. Am I even on the right forum?
I've looked all over the internet for a couple of months now, actually that's how I found this site, but have had no success; and my husband is breathing down my neck to make a decision about the walls - which will
all depend on the stairs, of course. I'm looking forward to any input any of you can offer. Thank you so much.
Hi there. Not sure I understand your question. You're building a new staircase in a 150 year old house?

Are you building them yourself?

Go to an online stair calculator. You can measure out exactly where you want your stairs to begin and end, then punch in the total rise and play around with rise/run configurations to until you hit the points you want.

I suggest you build these stairs to code, for resale value, if nothing else.

As for the box spring, if you can't build your stairs to code and at the same time fit the box spring, then find a clever way of getting it up there. Do not build your stairs around the box spring.

You can always disassemble the box spring and put it back together at hte top of the stairs. It's nothing more than some slats of wood. Just cut a little slit in the upholstery with a razor knife, slide that off, then take the framing apart.

Good luck.

sorry if i don't make anys swense here, but i'm still confused as to what you're trying to do.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 08:30 AM   #7

Stairwell. Right forum?

Thanks Schmolze, sorry if I'm not clear. The first date I have on the property is 1848. It was, or was to be used as, a livery station for freight between the Erie Canal and the railroad at the bottom of the lake (Keuka).
I'm not sure if any of the current structure existed at that time. The next date I have is 1908, a transfer deed, that indicates the structure in the current location, though how much of it I don't know. It has a full height stone/rubble foundation, with the back wall exposed, giving it a walkout basement. The stair treads are 40" w., but by the bottom step to the basement, the tread is only 18" w. I want to turn the stair to give me wider treads. Since I want to turn the upper stairs to get more space on the 2nd floor, it would make sense to put one right over the other in one structure, just like the straight stairs are now. I WILL be having a carpenter build it, but I need to know ahead of time what to tell him/her.
That's why I need whatever the formula is. I have gone to 4 online stair calculators so far. The problem seems to be the range of figures I can input don't account for situations outside more current construcion standards. I have even hunted for vintage/antique books/manuals of construction methods, with no result. I know a formula exists, it's what the online calculators use to spit out a result, I just need to know what it is, then I can "play" with the math - get a result I can live with, and know what to tell the carpenter. Does that seem more clear?
Old 10-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #8

Stairwell. Right forum?

You may have had a look at this site, but it does have a good explanation for laying out stairs.

http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/f...rs/outdoor.htm

This for an outdoor application, but its much thge same for indoors.

Years ago, I built a set of steps for my cottage. In this case, I used a length of 1X2 spruce and marked the rise for the staircase. Then using a pair of dividers, set at 7 1/2" I marked it off. In this case, I fell short of the rise mark. Spreading the divider a smidgen, I paced it off again. Kept doing this until until it stepped right to the mark. This gave me, my riser measurement.
Then I marked the length of the run on the reverse side of the layout board.
Using the divider again to step off the run, I was able to mark the width of each tread.
Not very scientific, but it worked.

Last edited by Wildie; 10-17-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM   #9

Stairwell. Right forum?

Thanks, Wildie. I bookmarked the site - it doesn't look like any I've been to before. There are some google ads at the bottom that don't look familiar as well. More heavy reading for me tonight!