DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

stairs

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ddawg16 
#1 ·
I have a 75 inch opening for a door. The door leads onto the patio. The step down is 17.5 inches.

I want two steps down. The width should be between 12 and 16 inches wide.

The real question is how to fasten the 3 riser to the house.
The house has siding. How to fasten the risers to the house with the siding there?
Thanks

#6 ·
Best to be Code-compliant for safety and H.O. Insurance purposes:
“R311.3 Floors and landings at exterior doors. There shall be a landing or floor on each side of each exterior door. The width of each landing shall not be less than the door served. Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured in the direction of travel.” http://publicecodes.citation.com/icod/irc/2009/icod_irc_2009_3_sec011_par002.htm

Local Codes vary: http://www.inspectapedia.com/interiors/Stair_Codes.htm

Gary

Reactions: oh'mike and BigJim
#2 ·
It would be best to remove the siding ---add the proper flashing and then an AZEK pvc trim board.

The riser will crush the siding and be a likely cause of a leak ,given enough time.

I would be possible to attach the step to the deck only--with a small gap at the siding.

Post a picture if you can---there are several good stair and deck folks here---You will get answers and suggestions.---Mike---

#7 ·
You got a little work ahead of you to get this right. Where I am at I can have a 4" step to the house from the landing on the outside with an inswing door like you have. So this means when you walk out the door from the house your step can not exceed 4" from the top of the threshold. The landing needs to be 36" deep (off the house) with the width being that of the doorway, being you have double doors that would be both doors. You can get 2 steps out of the 13.5" that you have to the top of the landing, if your 17.5" is to the top of the threshold. Take the siding off and be sure to flash the area properly or you will have big problems.

#8 ·
What is under the house? That is a pretty good size gap that I see.

Personally.....I would remove the siding as mentioned above, drill some holes in the concrete and stuff in some rebar dowels....then pour steps out of concrete. You won't have to worry about rot. Oh, and make sure you put a vapor barrier between the steps and house....what ever you use for steps.

BTW....the width is called 'tread' and the height is called 'riser'. Tread needs to be at least 12" and the riser a max of 7.5. In your case, you are going to have 2 steps, each about 6" high. If you have kids, I would make the tread a little deeper....I would go 14" to make for a comfortable and safe transition outside.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.