DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Stair Nose Attachment - HELP!

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mem 
#1 ·

I've laid hardwood bamboo flooring in our upstairs. Unfortunately, Lumber Liquidators couldn't get me the Stair nose until a few weeks after the flooring came, so I was unable to figure it in the planning (there were also unable to give me the width of the overhang). So, I'm at the point where there's 1/2 inch space between the last board and where the stair nosing rests. I tried ripping a piece of the flooring, but I did not like the look and the piece did not have a tongue to match up to the groove in the stair nose, causing an unstable fit.

I've contemplated the following solutions:
1. Replacing the stair riser with 1/2 stock (currently 1 inch) to make up the 1/2 inch difference. This would also result in having to lengthen the stair tread by 1/2. Because I don't have access to underneath the staircase, I don't know about this option.
2. Removing 1/2 of the overhang from the stair nose (Pict1 in attached) - The only way I can think of doing this would be to cut with a circular saw at a 1/2 depth the lenth of the board, then notching the pieces out. However, the wood is especially hard so I'm not sure how this would work.
3. Removing 1/2 from the top of the riser (Pict 2 in attached).

With that said:
· Are there any other options I’m not considering?
· Do any of the above sound viable?
· For 2 and 3, how would the cuts be made?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
If I understand the problem correctly... Instead of replacing the riser with thinner stock, set the stair nose in place and mark the bottom edge of the stair nose on the riser then just cut a half inch deep rabbet in the top corner of the riser as wide as your mark so the stair nose can be set back in the rabbet to meet the flooring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.