Stair Landing Before Door? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,638

Stair Landing Before Door?

Is there a minimum space required in front of a door at the top of a stairway?

The below is the 2nd story floor plan of my addition. See where the door is in the stairwell? The stairs stop right at the door....I'll maybe have 15" of floor space to stand on when opening the door.....

My architect is really good so I don't see him making any mistakes....but I just want to make sure that it's not an issue....which I don't think so since the door swings in....

1st Floor

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,482

R311.5.4 Landings for stairways.
There shall be a floor or landing at the top and bottom of each stairway.
Exception: A floor or landing is not required at the top of an interior flight of stairs,
including stairs in an enclosed garage, provided a door does not swing over the
stairs.
A flight of stairs shall not have a vertical rise larger than 12 feet (3658 mm)
between floor levels or landings.
The width of each landing shall not be less than the width of the stairway served.
Every landing shall have a minimum dimension of 36 inches (914 mm) measured
in the direction of travel.

Advertisement

Old 12-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Didn't we discuss this about a week or two ago.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-04-2011)
Old 12-04-2011, 09:52 AM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,282

I suggest you call the architect ----They are usually easy to discuss refinement with---and as creative types,sometimes make some real design blunders---

Let us know what he says---Mike-----
Old 12-04-2011, 10:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,052

It appears you are fine as it doesn’t swing over the stairs as Code sited.

A few things I see: move the mstr.bth toilet wall out into the bath flush with the 45* closet door wall for more room to shut the door behind you rather than standing on the lid, add a fan in there per code and good manners; add another wall behind the toilet for sound-proof to stairwell; omit the shwr window, use a solar tube for light instead- no water problems; is #8.02 your skylight- use a solar tube w. reflector. Draw a attic access in the closet next to the door for the framer and electrician…… Need 30” of headroom above it; go to a single exterior door w. sidelight and integral blinds- or make sure the operable French is the left one….; use a short-high window over the bed- omit the 2x4 one taking up dresser space- unless you need the view; the gas f.p. will need to vent through roof ----w. window/door on deck; are the little side-bay windows to see who’s coming up the stairs?

Dryer will vent by the electric meter to meet 3’ from house openings; 45* the linen – bath side wall to look bigger; sound/fiber board in baths to quiet DWV lines; use double layer drywall on fam.rm side of bth/lndr.rm for sound; change from pocket door (very noisy) to lft/hnd swing door to fam.rm.; isolate joists under wsh/drr\y. for vibration/sound to fam.rm. My 3 cents…

Gary
Old 12-05-2011, 02:02 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Code be damned. Do you want to open a door while you are still climbing stairs? I can't chew gum and climb, so opening a door whilst climbing would be a PITA for me, esp if I were carrying anything (like my Main Squeeze to the tub). If you are comfy w/ it, then it sounds like it is legal, however.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,638

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
It appears you are fine as it doesn’t swing over the stairs as Code sited.

A few things I see: move the mstr.bth toilet wall out into the bath flush with the 45* closet door wall for more room to shut the door behind you rather than standing on the lid, add a fan in there per code and good manners; add another wall behind the toilet for sound-proof to stairwell; omit the shwr window, use a solar tube for light instead- no water problems; is #8.02 your skylight- use a solar tube w. reflector. Draw a attic access in the closet next to the door for the framer and electrician…… Need 30” of headroom above it; go to a single exterior door w. sidelight and integral blinds- or make sure the operable French is the left one….; use a short-high window over the bed- omit the 2x4 one taking up dresser space- unless you need the view; the gas f.p. will need to vent through roof ----w. window/door on deck; are the little side-bay windows to see who’s coming up the stairs?

Dryer will vent by the electric meter to meet 3’ from house openings; 45* the linen – bath side wall to look bigger; sound/fiber board in baths to quiet DWV lines; use double layer drywall on fam.rm side of bth/lndr.rm for sound; change from pocket door (very noisy) to lft/hnd swing door to fam.rm.; isolate joists under wsh/drr\y. for vibration/sound to fam.rm. My 3 cents…

Gary
Great minds think aline....like any design....it's a 'suggestion'....

Master bath/toilet...that section is under constant change....I might need part of the wall to get HVAC from the existing part of the house to the upstairs bath and bedroom. We talked about a fan...but remember...it's California....windows stay open a lot...

Walk in closet attic space....no attic....everything upstairs will be vaulted. The head space was going to only be about 40"....hardly worth it...so that room will have just a sun tube.

Master bath...we like windows...in addition to the skylight, I'm also installing a fan next to it. That will be the high point of the room so I figure it is the best place to put it. Remember....it's California...

The downstairs toilet wall is 8" thick....needed the space for plumbing....it will be insulated....what you don't see in those drawings are some of the framing details....like that wall being a D shear wall....hence it will have OSB on it....between that, the insulation and the 'cupboard under the stairs', no one should hear anything. The door to that bathroom will be frosted glass....we are also trying to see if we can get a solor tube into that bath.....I need a vent...so I might as well put in a solar tube....hence, why the upstairs bath is not locked in.

Pocket door....that was a long topic of discussion....it stays...initially, we were not going to have anything....it is mainly there so we can close it in the event a load is going and we are watching TV. It's actually going to be a pocket door with frosted glass....maybe....still being discussed.

Bay window has changed a little....we are omitting the one next to the stairs....basically, we are trying to mimic the look of the front of the house....we do not want it to look like a stucco brick as most additions do in our area...

We hate high windows.....brings back memories of incarceration.....

Quote:
Dryer will vent by the electric meter to meet 3’ from house openings; 45* the linen
?????????? My dryer is about 16' from the meter......

What is not obvious in the floor plans....family room is slab....rest of the downstairs is raised foundation with crawl space....you step down 1' from the laundry into the family room....hence, one of the reasons for the pocket door.

This might illustrate it......

With luck the end result will look like this....

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote