Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
brd

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

stair bounce reinforce stair

We have stairs going down to finished basement that are carpeted on top but open underneath. There are 2 stringers on each side. When walking up or down the stairs they flex (bounce) a lot. I have tried screwing the risers into the treads. That helped a little. My question is what method would be best to strengthen the existing strings. Should I sister a 2x8 to the side stringers, adding a center stringer would be tough due to the carpet on the topside, or maybe some type of steel brace under the stringers running the entire length. I have to have to stairs open underneath so putting a support from the underside of stairs to floor wont work, Help.

brd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Do just the treads bounce... or the whole length of the stringers? Would it be too ugly to run hangers down from the ceiling at the midway point?

Last edited by Willie T; 02-21-2009 at 08:57 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 08:59 AM   #3
brd

It would be kind of ugly since I still have to put in railings. But that is a thought.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
brd

the stringer bounces mostly in the middle.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:39 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

If the stringers are bouncing, try sistering in some dimensional lumber along the inside of the stringers from underneath. A well constructed stairs should not have this problem. Running even a 2x4 along the stringer will strengthen it. How long a length do you have for the stringers and what dimensions were they cut out of?
Old 02-21-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
brd

thanks for responding, the dimensions of the stringers are 2 x 8 x 10' the width of the stringers are 30".
Old 02-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

I (almost) never build stringers out of anything but 2x12. I can't imagine you have code approved stairs. A rebuild would be the best with an added stringer in the center.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #8
brd

woops I remeasured if you measure the complete width it is a 2 x 12 looks like they took a 2x8 and added the additional wedge to make it 2 x 12 I cannot add another stringer due to the topside being carpeted. In other words the stinger looks like itwas composed of the 2 x 8 and then the triangular wedges to fill from the 2x8 up to the tread.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:04 AM   #9
Crazy, but lovable

Rewards Points: 75

I would recommend having a carpet shop remove the carpet, then add a middle stringer, and recarpet the stairs. You might be able to add a middle stringer by using joist hanger horizontally instead of vertically, like they are designed for, but I don't know what your inspector would think of that idea.
If it's the treads flexing in the middle, run a piece of dimension lumber (2x6 or 2x8) vertically under the tread from one side to the other and fasten it with joist hangers.

flyboy2610 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bounce, brace, deflection, reinforce, stairs