Stainless Steel Grid Deck Railings - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Doozer

Rewards Points: 75

Stainless steel grid deck railings

I am building some new decks. The old ones rotted and were eaten by termites and the new ones are required to be fireproof because we are in a wildfire prone area. So no wood.

I rebuilt one of them a couple of years ago and used cable railings because we have a nice view and were never able to see it through the wooden rails and pickets. What a difference! Cable railings are almost invisible compared to wood or even compared to 1/2" metal pickets.

But cable railings are expensive and finicky to install, so I am considering another alternative that someone mentioned to me a few months ago: stainless steel grid. The grid is kind of like stainless pig-wire. It's a welded grid on a diamond/diagonal layout. 4" grid size.

The problem is that I can find nothing about it online and I have never seen one for myself. I have a nephew who is a professional welder and can make them, but we don't know where to get the grid or how to design the railings. Does anyone have any links or information which might shed some light on this?

Thank you.

--Brian

Advertisement

FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,300

Ayuh,.... Did ya try Google,..??

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

Trying to picture how any form of a steel grid is going to look good, be legal, and be seen through.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...deas&FORM=IGRE
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,474

Have you tried a local farm store? They stock the stuff around here, it comes 5' x 16' panels and in a few different grid patterns that would make a legal rail.

I never really cared for that style much but it's like cable rail as far as not hindering the view and those that wanted it love it.

Look at the galvanized instead of SS... you'll save big bucks.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 03-21-2013 at 09:28 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #5

Powder coated aluminum is also less expencive.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
Doozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,.... Did ya try Google,..??
Of course I tried Google. But I apparently don't know the right word to describe it.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Doozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Trying to picture how any form of a steel grid is going to look good, be legal, and be seen through.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...deas&FORM=IGRE
Nearly all of those pictured block the view. The cable railings are almost invisible by comparison. I'm just looking for something easier to build that will be similarly transparent.

Edit: Hmmm, now I do see one photo with a grid. It's not terrible, but I'll have to have my wife look at it. Thanks.

Last edited by FatBear; 03-21-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Doozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Have you tried a local farm store? They stock the stuff around here, it comes 5' x 16' panels and in a few different grid patterns that would make a legal rail.
Thank you, I will give it a look.

Quote:
I never really cared for that style much but it's like cable rail as far as not hindering the view and those that wanted it love it.
I don't actually know what it will look like because I was just told about it. I can visualize it and it doesn't seem as nice in my mind's eye as cable railings, but I am not the Style Director around here. If I can find a picture, my wife will pass judgement on that.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Look at the galvanized instead of SS... you'll save big bucks.
I will do so. White powder coated steel would even be OK, I suppose. If they make it.

Last edited by FatBear; 03-21-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Mod

It looks like this.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #10
Doozer

I don't think that would look bad if dressed up in a nice metal railing. I'll have to run it past the boss, though.
Thanks, --Brian
Old 03-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

First thing I see on those railing is they installed the bottom rail tight to the deck.
Big mistake, it's going to casue it to rot and there going to be dirt piled up againt it.
I hate the look of the fencing, if it was at least black it would all but disappear.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
First thing I see on those railing is they installed the bottom rail tight to the deck.
Big mistake, it's going to casue it to rot and there going to be dirt piled up againt it.
I hate the look of the fencing, if it was at least black it would all but disappear.
That's your picture Joe I stole from your link just so he'd get a visual of the "see through" factor. I don't like (or do) any railings that aren't held up off the deck. If not for any other reason but just to have a space to sweep/hose stuff out.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:37 PM   #13
Doozer

I agree about the bottom. I've made quite a few railings and always off the deck. That one looks like a textbook recipe for rot. My cable railings had top and bottom tubes with horizontal cables between them. I laid out the cables on 3" centers and ended up with about a 3" gap at the bottom. So no need to worry about that. I'll get it right.

If that one railing pictured was the only way to build one with the grid panels, I think I would scrap the idea right now. I love wood railings, but that grid doesn't look good with the wood to me, either. I still think it might look good as the filler panel in a steel tube railing.You are right that black would be more invisible with the dark background in the photo. Our background is a mix of sky, lake, and a neighborhood with sparse housing and mature landscaping, so I think a steel or galvanized color will probably seem more invisible in our location. The cable railings on our other deck confirm that.

I'm still looking at other pictures, trying to decide if I like it or not. "Architectural Mesh" and "Wire Cloth" have been productive searches, though most are commercial-oriented and show railings with very small openings. Judging from what I've seen, I'm guessing that commercial railing codes require the railing to obstruct a 2" sphere. I only need to obstruct a 4" sphere.

I worked all day today, so couldn't look around for a farm supply store. That's probably going to be another adventure. Any other leads on where to buy it?

Thanks, --Brian
Old 03-21-2013, 09:41 PM   #14
Doozer

Oh, here's another image that I did find. I think the copper grid is 2" which is tighter than I want and copper is not right for our house, but you gotta admit that this is a nice looking deck railing. Copper and natural wood always look good together.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FatBear For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (03-21-2013), kwikfishron (03-23-2013), Windows on Wash (03-25-2013)
Old 03-23-2013, 12:14 PM   #15
greetings from Bolivia

Send a message via Skype™ to harrymontana

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
...The old ones rotted and were eaten by termites and the new ones are required to be fireproof because we are in a wildfire prone area. So no wood.
"so no wood", I am sorry but there are several hardwoods that are so dense that are fireproof according USDA

Advertisement

harrymontana is offline   Reply With Quote